Sign in to follow this  
Jim Bowen

Quick answer on Oil needed, 10w/60?

i just find out i have no oil left in garage and car needs topping up. Its a VR6, for past 6 months or so i've used the silkolene pro S, but can't spend £50 a go for 5l when i use quite a lot.

should i get the castrol edge sport 10w/60 or just go back to something much cheaper, tbh i noticed no difference when using the silkolene over the VW silver stuff

if i do get the edge sport will i be able to just top up with it? or do i need to get rid of all the silkolene stuff in engine first?

I just use the synta silver now and replace regularly. I figured the money saved over a couple of years would buy me an oil cooler....

As far as I am aware you can mix lighter and heavier oils together. Just not types ie fully synthetic, semi and normal

Do you really need to run 10w 60 though I would have thought 10w 50 would be thick enough.

Matt

As long as you're mixing semi-synthetic with semi-synthetic, synthetic with synthetic OR mineral with mineral it will be ok. Dont mix mineral with semi-synthetic or fully synthetic. But no doubt you will be using semi of full synthetic oil. Dont think mixing the grades matters so much.

EDIT - Beat me too it :D

If yours uses or burns oil wouldn't you be better off using a slightly thicker oil ie 15W40. My previous car burnt oil and I used castrol high mileage which certainly slowed down the consumption. It was about £16 for 5l. Its meant to contain additives which cause seals to swell lowering the amount of oil that can pass them. Personally I think thats crap but slows consumption down just because its thicker.

i thought the 2nd number the 60w was the thickness/viscosity at operating temp?

thanks for quick answers.

so i can't mix a semi-synthectic with a fully synthectic?

i thought the 2nd number the 60w was the thickness/viscosity at operating temp?

thanks for quick answers.

so i can't mix a semi-synthectic with a fully synthectic?

Yes I believe that is correct and no you cant mix them

:)

Fully synth is overkill for a standard VR6 IMO.

Most people use 10/40 synta silver or other decent semi synth, e.g. the Fuchs titan xtr from GSF at about £15 delivered for 5l (web price).

Maybe use a 10/50 if its consuming oil, that will nip it in the bud unless its too late.

Because its cheaper you can change it more often if you want :)

i never done the oil filter on mine, its always gone to a garage to be serviced.

am going to try it myself, is there a tool that helps?

think i'll just use a cheap semi now, the pro S didn't seem to change much

i never done the oil filter on mine, its always gone to a garage to be serviced.

am going to try it myself, is there a tool that helps?

think i'll just use a cheap semi now, the pro S didn't seem to change much

On a VR6 you need a spanner to fit the sump plug (I usually get a new copper washer for the sump plug as old ones leak).

An allen key to remove the drain plug from the bottom of the filter housing.

Put the filter drain plug back in (to stop the hosuing deforming), then to remove the filter housing you'll need a really big socket (or a filter housing tool), I've always just used a pair of water pump pliers to undo.

New filters normally come with new seals for the filter housing and the drain plug too.

10W/60 Castrol Edge will slow oil consumption right down.

I've used a lot of oils in my VR in it's various state of tune and the Castrol is a really good oil.

However, rather than pouring expensive oil into an engine that's burning it, you need to get it rebuilt.... then you can go back to a cheaper oil again!