Sign in to follow this  
biggerbigben

Biggerbigben - Mates R32 Storm - MAPPED.. by friend&Myself!

So its an r32 for this project then I was driving an r32 at work today and it felt pretty quick so that engine in a nice light Corrado should be fapping quick...but if you boost it aswell :norty:

Indeedy.. A mk5 R32 engine that has done.... 9,000 miles!!!

So you mean if it had this attached it would be :norty: ??

:wave:

:lol:

only one? :(

:lol:

may as well fit two :D

haha.. funny you should say that, twin turbo was the first idea we had!

have you heard that the R32 will do approx 550bhp with standard internals 8)

So I hear, we were just going to stick a spacer on it and see if we could squeeze 600bhp.. and run the car at more like 450bhp for on the road.

a GT35R with the largest hot side as it suits the R32 engine really well. Will still do 600bhp if required!

3582R with the 1.06 hotside will push over 650 on the R32 8) :D

Looks like the makings of a good project!

well i hope it does??????

Thats what it is, so good to hear! Think we are going NA to begin with though as we can't decide what to do about the gearbox, looking at converting a 6spd 02m to FWD.

a GT35R with the largest hot side as it suits the R32 engine really well. Will still do 600bhp if required!

3582R with the 1.06 hotside will push over 650 on the R32 8) :D

Looks like the makings of a good project!

Don't know about good! Sounds mental!! LOL :grin:

I take it your converting to 4wd????

Not this one.. sticking with FWD..

This is like the dream engine conversion!!!!!

Is it for a guy on the forum?

He is.. not sure on his user name and how often he posts.. but he found me through this forum!

More updates this week, when the weather cheers up I'm hoping to get the engine in the car this week. Wiring at the weekend and started next week! (only kidding, even I can't get it done that quickly! hehe)

Inspiration indeed Ben, just wish I dared to venture into this kind of thing myself but it's way out of my league so will stick to being bicycle repair man :lol: will enjoy seeing this project come along.

Say hello to Guy when you see him :grin:

This is one project to defo watch 8)

Stage 1 will just be a NA R32 corrado, but if stage 2 happens with the big turbo then thats when the real fun begins! :nuts:

I will be watching this one closely

Don't watch too closely.. hehe :wave:

Inspiration indeed Ben, just wish I dared to venture into this kind of thing myself but it's way out of my league so will stick to being bicycle repair man :lol: will enjoy seeing this project come along.

If you need it doing mate you know who to contact ;-)

Will be seeing Guy at the w/e mate so I'll say you said hi.. We will be starting on his R32T soon.. 600bhp here we come!! :cuckoo:

I will be watching this one closely

Don't watch too closely.. hehe :wave:

If I wasn't a good swim away I would love to see this in person. :notworthy: I always love what you end up doing with your projects. So much tallent

Great skills as ever Ben. Look forward to seeing how this turns out. First full engine transplant on a Storm (on the Corrado Forum at least) if i'm not mistaken..?

Thanks Jim..

Is it really the first time a Storm has had a complete engine conversion?! Surely someone must have done one before? If not I can understand from the aircon side of things! Its is going to be interesting hooking up that to the new engine! God knows how I'm going to sort that, both systems look completely different :( Might have to get some conversion pipes made I think!

Anyway all will be revealed soon! ;-)

It'll be the second storm to have a 3.2 engine in :wave: Mine was started a very long time ago (last December!), and has turned into a full blown restoration, but given the very little time spent on it, it probably won't be finished before yours!

I don't have have air con either, so I've got a spare compressor sitting in the boot of my car if you need one Ben. Hope it all goes smoothly chap, I'll be watching with interest!

If you need it doing mate you know who to contact ;-)

Will be seeing Guy at the w/e mate so I'll say you said hi.. We will be starting on his R32T soon.. 600bhp here we come!! :cuckoo:

LoL! Well if you could hide it under the standard engine cover so the judges dont see it i might have to take you up on that :lol:

also watching this one with interest - good for you!

i was looking at mine the other day, there is no sign of a PAS pump, so i think i'm going to have to get hold of a bracket off a 2.8 24V as well, along with the pulleys.

also there is no fuel return on the mk5 i could see (unlike the mk4 r32) - what were your plans there, going to remove it completely?

i should be making a start on mine come the end of september, so i will be watching this very closely :)

good work my friend, keep us all updated :D

Pete

this is moving on pretty quick!! will be watching with interest

proper dream combo of bits you have there mate :thumbleft:

If I wasn't a good swim away I would love to see this in person. :notworthy: I always love what you end up doing with your projects. So much tallent

Thanks man.. appreciated! Will keep the updates coming!

It'll be the second storm to have a 3.2 engine in :wave: Mine was started a very long time ago (last December!), and has turned into a full blown restoration, but given the very little time spent on it, it probably won't be finished before yours!

I don't have have air con either, so I've got a spare compressor sitting in the boot of my car if you need one Ben. Hope it all goes smoothly chap, I'll be watching with interest!

Thought as much ;-)

This conversion is just going to be the essentials as the rest of the car is in good stead. Will be respraying it though as well to tidy the outside up.

I might be interested in the compressor, depends what bracket I use tbh.. thanks for the kind words.. will keep everyone posted.

LoL! Well if you could hide it under the standard engine cover so the judges dont see it i might have to take you up on that :lol:

Well I reckon anything is possible! lol

also watching this one with interest - good for you!

i was looking at mine the other day, there is no sign of a PAS pump, so i think i'm going to have to get hold of a bracket off a 2.8 24V as well, along with the pulleys.

also there is no fuel return on the mk5 i could see (unlike the mk4 r32) - what were your plans there, going to remove it completely?

i should be making a start on mine come the end of september, so i will be watching this very closely :)

good work my friend, keep us all updated :D

Pete

Pete, The late mk4 R32's and mk5 R32's run an electric PAS pump and high pressure fuel rails and lines all the way from the pump. So my plan is to either use a 12v or 2.8 24v bracket to take care of the alternator, air con compressor and PAS pump. Fuel rail wise you can either swap out to a early mk4 R32 rail with FPR and return line or fit an aftermarket aeromotive FPR that has the return on it.. I have bought one already, but its a turbo one so need to see if it will work without boost. 3rd option is to weld a union on the end of the rail and put in a FPR with a return but thats too much like hard work and not required.

Will keep you up dated.

UPDATE :

Hoping to get the engine in this week and make a start on the wiring the Emerald, fitting water pipes etc this coming weekend. I really want to crack on with this project before winter sets in. Will order the 6 branch manifold when I get paid next week. Would love to start it before E38, but doubt I will have time! :mad2:

oh yeh its a real nice bit of welding, its easilly better than the mass produced raceland 6 branch manifolds, and the fit was 100% spot on. if you wait till ed38 pete from dubpower will be there, and i'm sure he would give you a slight discount.

heres a random pic of it compared to the standard manifold.

karl

oh yeh its a real nice bit of welding, its easilly better than the mass produced raceland 6 branch manifolds, and the fit was 100% spot on. if you wait till ed38 pete from dubpower will be there, and i'm sure he would give you a slight discount.

heres a random pic of it compared to the standard manifold.

karl

Arhh thats nice.. defo will go for one of those. I take it it bolts straight up to the standard CAT?

Good idea about waiting for E38.. if hes going to be there then I'll defo bring some money!

B

cheers for that buddy - i'll make sure i hang onto the alternator bracket off my 12v engine when it goes.

i was having a brain fart there - completely forgot about the FPR! i will add an aeromotive jobby to my shopping list! :)

thanks again matey - cheers for the update, can't wait to see this one finished :D

well i have a milltek de-cat pipe, and the dubpower 6 branch mated up perfectly. Also i have vf mounts all round just like when i had with the vr6 fitted with the raceland 6 branch, and i never had any flexi fitted.

This is the 3rd Storm R32 I know of, but it'll be the first with a turbo 8) Looking forward to seeing it progress.

This is the 3rd Storm R32 I know of, but it'll be the first with a turbo 8) Looking forward to seeing it progress.

First Storm R32 Turbo ,but not the first Storm Turbo :lol:

well i have a milltek de-cat pipe, and the dubpower 6 branch mated up perfectly. Also i have vf mounts all round just like when i had with the vr6 fitted with the raceland 6 branch, and i never had any flexi fitted.

I'm happy with that.. can always weld a flexi in the end of the downpipe! But I'm hoping to fit a solid front engine mount to stop the engine moving too much!

Quick update!

Got to work early this morning so I could get home on time this evening! Got straight outside and 45mins later the R32 engine is in ;-) Everything cleared no problem, rear engine mount + rear gearbox mount are bolted up and I just have a jack proping the front up. Tomorrow I'm going to modified the front engine bracket and fit the mount, bolt up the driveshafts, sort the water pipes (hybrid of R32/VR6 pipes), make a start on the Emerald wiring and if theres time look at modifying the alternator bracket to bolt up the old aircon compressor + PAS pump and fit the R32 alternator.

I test fitted the inlet manifold and it clears the bonnet! So I don't think I'll need to drop the front of the engine, even if I did it would only be by 10mm MAX.

So all is looking good for the weekend... now I just need to pray for good weather!!!! :notworthy:

PICS : :norty:

good work Ben, its surprising how easy it is to get an R32 lump into a corrado :) but the hard bit is the wiring (as i've found out) are you going to fit an uprated front mount??