Sign in to follow this  
robmajestix

petrol dial stopped working:(

Hello!

what a treat! After battling the dash apart to put my lovely new dial surrounds in, it seems all my dials, and trip etc work fine...but the petrol gauge needle just sits on 0 at the stopper....any suggestions?

(oh i just cant wait to take that dash appart again! :'( )

cheers guys!

Rob

yeh my petrol guage has also stopped working :S but it was out of the blue, then my fuel pump went, dont know if they are linked :S

Wouldnt mind hearin other peeps sotires on the fuel guage stopping, would be helpful :)

fuel guage sender is under rear seat. Pull it out and the unscrew the large black plastic circle which covers the in-tank fuel pump section. Check the connectors in there :salute:

strangely enough my fuel gauge seems to read FULL all the time- just after me cleaning up around the fuel tank filler neck- Is there something I could have dislodged or unplugged?

Cheers- Mike

Think the tank vents out to the engine bay at the carbon cannister- just had a quick search through old post and one chap said the fuel pump was on its side causing it to read full! Oh well- another job for the list

Mine works but i'm not too sure on the accuracy? I ran it very low the other day (according to the gauge that is) and only managed to put 57 litres back into my 70 litre tank. Am I right in thinking that all VR6's came with a 70 litre tank? Is there any way of adjusting the calibration of the sender.

The gauge will also quite happily move up and down by around 2 needles width when thrashing it about... Again is this normal?

Think the tank vents out to the engine bay at the carbon cannister- just had a quick search through old post and one chap said the fuel pump was on its side causing it to read full! Oh well- another job for the list

Why would the petrol tank vent out into a potentially hot engine bay? Don't think that's right somehow...

Hello!

what a treat! After battling the dash apart to put my lovely new dial surrounds in, it seems all my dials, and trip etc work fine...but the petrol gauge needle just sits on 0 at the stopper....any suggestions?

(oh i just cant wait to take that dash appart again! :'( )

cheers guys!

Rob

What model/age have you got?

Anything else not working? On early cars there are 2 plugs in the back, one might not be plugged in.

Mine works but i'm not too sure on the accuracy? I ran it very low the other day (according to the gauge that is) and only managed to put 57 litres back into my 70 litre tank. Am I right in thinking that all VR6's came with a 70 litre tank? Is there any way of adjusting the calibration of the sender.

The gauge will also quite happily move up and down by around 2 needles width when thrashing it about... Again is this normal?

VRs should be 70l tanks. You can calibrate the senders but I don't know how. try searching on here. It's not unusual for the movement of the fuel to cause the level to go up and down.

Why would the petrol tank vent out into a potentially hot engine bay? Don't think that's right somehow...[/quote:28cfv84q]

I'm sure the tank is connected to the carbon canister in the engine bay, but it doesn't vent to atmosphere at this point.

The fuel pump could have come loose in the tank. it should be clipped to the bottom, so you could be right. Just be prepared for a nice cold arm!

Why would the petrol tank vent out into a potentially hot engine bay? Don't think that's right somehow...[/quote:28cw58qs]

It is right- it 'vents' into the carbon can on the left hand side of the engine- very few cars vent direct to atmosphere nowadays.

The Fuel Pump HAD come off the mounting and was rattling round bottom of the tank!