Sign in to follow this  
awright182

Rear Brake Calliper

Hi,

One of my rear callipers is starting to drag. The car was registered in October 92. I gather there are two different designs of calliper. Can someone tell me what the differences are? Are the two types interchangeable. Which type is mine likely to have early or lates?

Thanks for any help

Andy

Hi buddy. I don't know if its any help, but I've just changed over my rear calipers for a set of Mk4s, and have my standard VR rear calipers sat in the gargae. They are in perfect working order, have pads and braided hoses. I could sell to you if need them. HTH :D

I believe that the callipers are interchangeable, as there was somebody that posted up a picture the other week and they had both types fitted.

The changeover will probably have been sometime around 1993, but it really depends on what the guy pulling the parts out of the bins felt like that day :lol:

Either way, I'd suggest changing them in pairs, as if one's going the other one won't be far behind and you don't really want one side of the car braking more than the other.

You can pick up second hand callipers for not much money at all (they're the same as Mk2 and Mk3 Golfs. If it were me, I'd take the opportunity to strip them down, clean them up, replace the seals (a piston seal kit from VW isn't expensive) and probably replace the slider pin boots and grease too (repair kit to do that is about £10 a side).

Maybe even slap some Hammerite on there too if you're really keen.

When they go back on, they'll be like new and good for another 10yrs or so.

Oh and it's probably worth checking the state of the handbrake cable boots too - if they're split, then the cable will be corroding inside and is going to cease pretty soon, although they can easily be changed at a later date.

The handbrake side of the rears started playing up 5 years ago,so replaced them with mk4's

and a C+R kit,replaced hadbrake cable to and no problem since.

Made of alloy instead of steel is the reason why I dont get hassle with mk4 rear callipers.

Good to know even if buying a corrado if the handbrake is like really upright you can be sure a calliper is knackered.

:nuts: :dorky:

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll try the refurb kit.

Probably an excuse to have a look at the scirrocco while I'm at the dealers

Andy