Alexander

Samco hoses - benefits?

Probably a daft question, but I couldn't easily find the answer through the search so:

Apart from looking nice, do Samco hoses have any other benefits (as opposed to replacing worn hoses with OEM items)?

Cheaper indeed, but it depends what engine. For the VR i was quoted £70 for ONE HOSE from VW.

The Samco kit at £190 ended up being a bargain!

Other than that, they are better in terms of wear rates etc, but let's be honest. Your standard hoses have lasted this long... so does it even matter?!

I can't see that there really could be any "performance" benefits unless you drive your car so hard that you pop coolant hoses ;)

Cheaper indeed, but it depends what engine. For the VR i was quoted £70 for ONE HOSE from VW.

Other than that, they are better in terms of wear rates etc, but let's be honest. Your standard hoses have lasted this long... so does it even matter?!

I can't see that there really could be any "performance" benefits unless you drive your car so hard that you pop coolant hoses ;)

agreed.

Cheaper, look a bit nicer and i think the silicone wrapping helps them last longer than a plain rubber hose

aye, the reinforcing weave in the silicone should help prevent the hose completely bursting open too. Any split or hole that ever appears in them should be kept more localised and not tear open as quickly as a standard hose.

where did you get those at £190?

there was a group buy on the vr6OC recently at that price. normally you can get them for about 210-215 delivered.

I would have to dissagree with the above sentiments about the quality of a Samco hose.

This is what happened to mine last night,

Have been on the car for 30k.

I would never buy a samco hose because I wanted something stronger than the original. They just look nice. The original fit VW hoses are bombproof. I've heard a few cases od samcos failing.

Edited by andy