Sign in to follow this  
vwdeviant

How much coolant?

Simple really...

How much coolant in a 9a 16v system?

Doing a Rad swap on teh weekend so need to know and order up more G12 if needs be!

In a Corrado it's 5.5 Ltr and a Passat is 6 - 6.5 ltr depending on A/C or not

Use 2.5 Ltrs of G12+ to distilled water for a good mix.

Evian's just like tap water, just with less chlorine in it, so I really wouldn't bother. Similarly, filtered water has got most of the minerals taken out of it, but for some reason remember reading about it being bad to use in engines.

Distilled water is the best stuff to use, but TBH if you're bunging G12+ in there too, it won't make a wild amount of difference. The G12+ is anti-freeze, but also anti-corrosion...

Evian's just like tap water, just with less chlorine in it, so I really wouldn't bother. Similarly, filtered water has got most of the minerals taken out of it, but for some reason remember reading about it being bad to use in engines.

Distilled water is the best stuff to use, but TBH if you're bunging G12+ in there too, it won't make a wild amount of difference. The G12+ is anti-freeze, but also anti-corrosion...

It will due to less limescale in distilled water, less gunky build up inside the block etc.

I would say DO NOT put mineral water of any sort in your coolant.

Boil it, you will be left with a residue of all the minerals, this is not good for your engine, also, it tells you on most mineral waters how much actual mineral content there is and what you'll be left with once the water evaporates :) I prefer volvic, it has a good mineral content compared to evian :D

Another point, i did this flush, worked wonderfully for a while but then boom(not really boom but more coolant light came on and engine temp going skywards)..water pump gasket went, lost all coolant instantly.

Unless you have a good reason to or are handy at replacing the coolant components(pump..etc) i'd leave the coolant system alone, i regret doing it.....a good mechanic will tell you that putting new coolant in your system will find weaknesses, i'm not sure why, perhaps it's the organic acid in it or something, it burns up the dirt plugging the holes or something?

Also, i think i read here or somewhere; putting in more coolant won't do anything to keep your engine cooler, distilled water does a better job at cooling.

Also, i think i read here or somewhere; putting in more coolant won't do anything to keep your engine cooler, distilled water does a better job at cooling.

Just water will keep your engine coolant than any combination of water and coolant but the coolant provides corrision inhibiting elements as well as increasing (slightly) the boiling temperature of the cooling system. This coupled with pressurisation of the cooling system gives you a boiling point of around 115-120 deg C instead of 100 deg C.

Cheers Guys... Was joking about the Evian!

Rad has to go as only got 140miles from top up before coolant light came on again.

I fully suspect that I will be chasing this one.... Will check the pump whilst we're under there today for any signs of leaking...

This thing only had the headgasket done about 30k ago too! I really hope it' not that again... but if it is I'll swap out to a "stage 2" kr Head I've got coming, and take the oppertunity to use an ABF Metal head gasket at the same time...

Unless any0ne can recommend why I shouldn't?

Cheers guys, removed the old "green spots of death" rad and car ran fine last night through 3.30 hrs of Midnight Cruise in Central London.