Sign in to follow this  
VR6Joni

Forced induction coming, is it worth getting a VG manifold?

Hi all,

This is my first post and I'm gonna jump straight to he point.

My trials bike is going and the earnings are going to the rado tuning pot, this should give me enough money to go down the supercharger route. What I want to know is, what would it be worth doing at the same time or near future when funds allow? CAM's, 6 branch exhaust, aqua mist, Head spacer & higher boost, Schrick etc?

From reading how the Schrick variable geometry manifold works I can't really see it making much difference on a forced induction setup, would anyone care to disagree or agree with this thought?

Cheers Jonathan

I would save your money with the schrick mani mate, im sure they are great on a na vr but i would rather put the money towards more boost!

I know i am no longer a member ( :( ) but welcome to the forced fed club and the forum!

What supercharger are you thinking of going for? There are 2 main ones really, Vortech which is well proven as everyone and their nan has one, so you cant go wrong with them. Or the Rotrex, a bit more of a beast, not been round long but so far have been well proven.

Differences between the 2 are they are both centrifugal, but the Vortechs are HUGE and are grear driven (makes a great noise) whereas the Rotrex is small and has a unique roller design. The vortech's tend to be laggy for a supercharger, they dont seem to do much until 3.5k really whereas the Rotrex comes in much earlier. The vortechs run off the engine oil so oil change intervals need to be frequent (every 4 months recommended) but the rotrex has its own oil supply and cooler which doesnt go anywhere so only needs changing every other year or so depending on miles, however at a price as the special 'Traction Oil' is a tad pricey!

As for mods to go with the chargers, the Schimmel 263 cams have been very well proven, they have given brilliant results even on na engines and they love forced fed! So they are a definite, and much much cheaper than over hyped (imo) Schrick cams.

If you are going stage 2 (8psi) or more then water injection or some form of cooling is advised, it will help performance but will mainly help avoid pinking when hot!

6 branch is also worth it, but not a must really.

When i fitted my rotrex i went straight for lowered compression with a spacer gasket, i only ran 7psi to start but the plan was to have big boost in the future so i thought might as well lower the compression at the beginning that way its out the way. Now fortunately my engine is prepped ready for a turbo :clap: Also worth noting if you are going to take the head off and fit a spacer you need a sharan vr6 head gasket, bin the middle layer and use the 2 outer layers round the spacer gasket, helps it seal better and also worth getting ARP non-stretch bolts for the head and if you plan on big power conrods as well. Then your engine will be bomb proof!

Hope this helps! There are a few charged boys on the forum, check out the Forced Induction VR6 thread which has covered pretty much everything you could need to know.

well jesus, i have learnt alot from that aswell, nice reply mate, good to see someone can answer a question without making it too complicated, i want more power :D

well jesus, i have learnt alot from that aswell, nice reply mate, good to see someone can answer a question without making it too complicated, i want more power :D

Well i am fairly new to the forced fed club (even though its no longer forced fed!!!!!!) so i wanted to learn as much as possible, its fairly simple when you break it down to the basics, when you start getting in to turbos or big power then the technical mumbo jumbo comes out!!

Cheers herisites

There's some useful info there, as I thought, I couldn't really see how there would be a great benefit with a schrick, with forced induction.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if the schrick manifold has variable intake runner length or has a tuned chamber?

I was leaning towards to rotrex, everyone who's tried them seems to be impressed! So unless anyone can point out a definitive advantage to a vortech I think that's the way I'll be going.

Yeah as Karl says really, cant see a reason to go for Vortech and not for Rotrex personally, if anything a rotrex is better.

What sort of power are you hoping for? Because there are different models, for around 300bhp and maybe a bit more you can get the C30-74 or if you want more then there is the C30-84 and then even more the C30-94 (potentially 400+ bhp!).

Also when are you looking to buy? I will have a complete kit ready to go on for sale within the next few months, my charger packed up but i will be selling the kit with a brand new Rotrex. I can also help with any advice you need about fitting, and if i get the right price i would even help fit it as it can be done in a day easily enough, but will just need remapping.

Ok, just finished reading the vr6 forced induction thread and think I know the general direction I'm going in. Thanks for the offer Rob, but to do the rest of the build as I want to I don't think I can stretch to a new rotrex at the moment. However I got a second hand rotrex in the pipe line which I'm gonna rebuild. I'll let you know how that went Rob. You still got your siezed charger or did you exchange it?