Sign in to follow this  
ProdigalSon

Tyre and suspension woes resolved :D

I noticed recently that my C's handling in the wet was a little 'wayward', to say the least... :roll:

Recently fitted Weitec coilies with a drop, now settled to about 590mm at centre of arch.

Given the prospect of having to drive down the M40 to London this evening while the heavens poured down a fortnight's rain, I gave my tyres a quick look.

Both fronts were bald from outside edge to centre :pale: No wonder it had been a bit playful in the wet.

Any ideas why this should have happened? Looks like there could have been a bit of regular high-speed arch rubbing that could have worn some of the rubber away. Guess that severe toe-out could also have worn the treads flat.

Anyway, I had to 'borrow' all four of boost monkey's Sebrings as he still had loads of tread :clap: and in the process of swapping wheels, I raised the coilies by about 50mm at front and 40mm at rear. :salute:

Good news is that there was little aquaplaning in the torrential rain on the drive down, no perceivable bump steer, and I didn't end up under an artic's wheels :D

I guess I'll have to get the wheels re-aligned as I have changed the ride height. Does anyone know what stock ride height is on a G60? :scratch:

I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow when I'm back home.

Comments and opinions welcome :wink:

Its not just wheel re-alignment, you need a full 4 wheel suspension alignment carried out, but before you do you need to be sure your happy with your ride height as if you do change it again you will have to have the alignemnt checked again. Any good accident repair show should have a 4 wheel jig, as well as any good quality performance garage.. Dont go to kwik fit or similar.

If the handling is that bad and your tyres are scrubbed out too, I would say your geometry was miles out.

Mark

Definitely get it laser aligned but most places will charge you less than the full amount for 4 wheel alignment because there's no adjustability at the rear so you're only really having 2 wheel alignment.

If it was fully aligned you should have taken it back on the old tyres to get them to sort the problem as it obviously ws not right.....

If it was fully aligned you should have taken it back on the old tyres to get them to sort the problem as it obviously ws not right.....

What he said :D

It was aligned by Darren at G-Werks, but using more interesting optical equipment than lasers :wink:

I now know that the coilies had settled by about 2cm since I had them fitted (measured on the day and then again yesterday), which gradually put the ride height too low for the geometry, it would appear... :roll:

Since raising them back up again, they are arguably back within the range of the original alignment, at least that's what my driving experience from the last two days has shown - it's miles better! :D

Will keep a close eye on the wear - four new Dunlop SP9000s fitted today. Grip in the wet (lots of that around at the moment) is hard to overcome, the steering is great (feedback without fight), and the ride comfort is far superior to my old semi-slicks :lol:

I may be completely wrong but I would not have thought the settling of the coilovers would make enough suspension geometry difference to make the car handle like a bag of poo in the wet and to give enough toe out to destroy your tyres. How many miles was it since you last checked the tyres..???

I am just wonmdering if the improvements you have felt are down to the different wheels and tyres rather than the change to the coilovers? Are the new wheels the same size? Tyres the same size? What tyres were you running before?

Mark

I did the trigonometry a few weeks ago, and dropping a car by 40mm with set damper and wishbone lengths will make the wishbones run at approximately 6degrees above horizontal. Any more and the degree of wishbone elevation will obviously be greater.

I would hypothesise that as the wishbone is running at a different angle, the forces on the ARB and bushes could have possibly been changed enough to have a detrimental affect on handling.

Plus, i've been in the car and it does snag a little in each direction sometimes.

I didnt know that Coilovers 'settled' ?????

any new suspension settles down really, it is just down the rubber / gas / coil springs bedding in

mmm, as karmann said. When I have my car up in the air and put it back on it's wheels I always do the "bump the wing" up and down scenario just so I don't look like a tractor!

Springs on the C are fairly stiff though so it's not as satisfying as other cars I've had :lol:

I may be completely wrong but I would not have thought the settling of the coilovers would make enough suspension geometry difference to make the car handle like a bag of poo in the wet and to give enough toe out to destroy your tyres. How many miles was it since you last checked the tyres..???

Well, the amount of drop I had when the coilies were fitted was borderline dodgy as far as wishbone angle is concerned, so any additional drop would've made it much worse. The front tyres were fine when the coilies were fitted, I have some high res pics (taken during fitting) that show plenty of tread... That was mid-June! :|

I am just wondering if the improvements you have felt are down to the different wheels and tyres rather than the change to the coilovers? Are the new wheels the same size? Tyres the same size? What tyres were you running before?

Same rims, same profile tyres (195/50 R15). Loads more tread, obviously, and the raising of the suspension the previous day (when I borrowed boost's wheels) made a HUGE difference to ride stability and comfort :D The new Dunlop rubber has just added back an element of grip that was missing from my slicks, and about 90% as good from boost's tyres.

Now it's all settled and you're happy with the height, run it down to Micheldever to get it laser aligned. Well worth the £47 for tracking and camber.

Now it's all settled and you're happy with the height, run it down to Micheldever to get it laser aligned. Well worth the £47 for tracking and camber.

Where in Micheldever? :scratch: £47 is a bargain, although I guess they're only aligning the front wheels :lol:

Micheldever is the size of a small manhole cover yo. there's only one tyre place there, IIRC it's near the station or out in the sticks (both about 100yds apart).

I took my red peugeot 205 there yeeeaarrrsss ago. Good guys.

Micheldever is the size of a small manhole cover yo.

:lol: OK, I get the picture :D

there's only one tyre place there, IIRC it's near the station or out in the sticks (both about 100yds apart).

:salute:

I took my red peugeot 205 there yeeeaarrrsss ago. Good guys.

Anyone got a phone number for them?