Sign in to follow this  
snattrass

Which is the best engine?

Well. VW didn't specify service intervals on the charger as far as I know, and as long as the oil has been changed regularly, revs kept low until the engine was warm and the charger not stressed, it's quite possible the charger has done that many miles and hasn't had issues.

They recommended that is was replaced at around 90k miles rather than serviced.

Its awesome to hear stories like that though, there's a huge amount of hysteria regarding G60's when they're really a fantastic engine.

:) :thumbleft:

Its awesome to hear stories like that though, there's a huge amount of hysteria regarding G60's when they're really a fantastic engine.

90K? They never told me that :shock: . If it goes I'll head to VW with a warranty claim 8) .

It started to make nasty noises at 120K, but it turned out to be the idler pulley on the engine block. I know I've been sailing close to the wind but it keeps on going (dread to think about that tiny belt in the charger and the flying metal if the teeth strip). MFA check still gives around 1650.

Any other original originals out there???

I can't recommend the 1.8 / G60 too highly.

Owned, and still own, the same unmodified C for 17 years and 208000 miles. No engine or 'charger rebuilds, or indeed the gearbox, which is still sweet :clap: .

Suspect I've been lucky.... oh, except for the ECU which VW replaced FOC 204000 miles ago.

Rich

17 year.

:salute: :salute: