Sign in to follow this  
Rustynuts

5th gear - put it on now

I'm the same as you - I loved my mk2 16v, would love to have another at some point, but they're well pricey now - seems like to get a good, non-boy-racered example you're looking at 2k+.

Mk1 handling is sharper than a Mk2, mainly because it is lighter. It is hard to explain other than comparing the Mk1 and Mk2 track cars I have driven. You can really feel the extra 100kg in a Mk2 that makes it feel more planted but also less agile. The Mk1 feels slightly skitty but you really feel you can be more precise. With our Mk1 track car we are going to play with the spring poundage as it may be the suspension making it a little skitty. Both handle very well, both are a joy to drive.

... My favourite is the 16v rack is it gives the best of both worlds and to be honest feels the same as a Corrado rack...

That's because it is the same rack :)

In fact, apart from the gearbox and top mounts there's not much difference in running gear at all from the 16v golf and 4cyl Corrados and the G60 golf shared those too!

... My favourite is the 16v rack is it gives the best of both worlds and to be honest feels the same as a Corrado rack...

That's because it is the same rack :)

In fact, apart from the gearbox and top mounts there's not much difference in running gear at all from the 16v golf and 4cyl Corrados and the G60 golf shared those too!

I was gonna say this a while back david, but I went on VAGCAT and all the racks for Corrado and Golf seem to have different part numbers and details to one another, so :shrug:

all the 16v, mk3 GTI and VR racks are essentially the same, in fact even some polo GTI and Ibiza racks are identical.

the main difference is the change from 36 to 22 spline input shafts and all you need is the corresponding UJ

the VR/mk3 GTI racks simply have longer tie rods for the plus axle

the mk2 16v rack (36 spline) has the same part number as the pre 92 4 cyl corrado

the only problem you might have is retro-fitting a VR rack to a mk2, as I'm not sure if a 22 spline UJ was ever available for the golf, but there may be one from a SEAT etc that fits if a mk3 one doesn't.

Not quite correct. The VR's rack and pump are ZF items are different to the 4 pot cars' ....

I think we've been here before,

the only ZF racks listed on ETKA are for LHD VR6's everything else is TRW

I've got a mk3 golf VR6 rack which is identical to my original 1990 Corrado 16v rack (bar the 36 splines)

James Renshaw fitted a new SEAT ibiza cupra rack to his corrado VR6 (which is the same part number as the superceeded rack for the 1992 onwards 4 cylinder corrados - 22 spline and only tie rods had to be changed)

Erm, my RHD VR rack has ZF stamped all over it.

Looking on ETKA is one thing. Holding the parts in your hand is another.

Which is why I mentioned the Golf VR6 rack I have and James' fitment of the SEAT rack to a VR,

I'm only going by what I've had in my hands so it would be interesting to get a few other cars checked, the ZF racks I've seen are pretty distinctive, they have a latticework of strengthening on the outer casing which is alloy, whereas the TRW ones are smooth steel tubes with a welded bracket to mount the gear change rods for cars with rod change boxes.

Yep, mine has the alloy rack.

I remember from my MK2 days that a TRW rack had an accompanying TRW pump, whereas the Plus axle appears (in some cases) to have a ZF rack and ZF pump partnership. But as we know, VW keep chopping and changing parts as and when they see fit!

VR racks are "waffle" racks, they have a funny pattern on them which is all criss-cross and nobbly (i'm so technical)

TRW racks should have a little stamp on the underside which say XTR USA or something like that on.

But then I only have 4 of them :nuts:

the ZF racks I've seen are pretty distinctive, they have a latticework of strengthening on the outer casing which is alloy

that's what i meant by waffle rack, being all criss-cross and bobbly :nuts: :D

who knows? :?

I bought a golf VR6 rack that's a TRW one and there's a similar one listed on e-bay at the moment as a Corrado VR6 one (maybe it's a different year or actually from a mk3 golf?)

mine was definitely 'plus axle' because of the tie rods, but also identical to my 16v rack (TRW body), so I thought 'great' there's a bigger choice of cars to source quick racks from, as opposed to a mk2 8v or lesser model golf/ibiza with the slower PAS racks.