Sign in to follow this  
tombell999

air box upgrade??

my friend had my car previosuly before me and had a different air box on it to what it is now ( its standard now) does anyone know wehere i can get a different airbox for it? its a 1.8 16v and obviously i cant put a k&n induction kit on it because i need all the sensors tht are on top of the box please help! :)

i take it youve got the bosch jet tronic thing ??

has your air box got a big flappy paddle thing in the top ?>

Your pretty limited as to what you can get.

The Stroeve induction kit is one: http://www.tuningwerkes.com/products/Werkes_Stroeve.htm

and there was another which replaced the whole bottom half of the airbox with a foam filter, cant remember the name offhand though.

I really wouldn't bother though with it though. Save you rmoney and just make sure you have a clean standard filter in there.

swiss-cheesing the airbox just lets hot air in in the summer and too much cold air in the winter,

remove the resonator tube or 'snorkel' and stick in a panel filter, that's perfectly adequate.

Only if you swiss-cheese it on the engine side, should only be done on the wing side of the box. Anyway you ever read under bonnet temps at over 20mph? Normally only a degree or two above outside ambient and the 16v inlet manfold desgin causes more heat increase in induction than where you get your air from.

Nick

What is the point of doing it on the wing side? it's not a mk2 golf which has a cold air feed to outside there. Best place to drill / modify would be just underneath after removing the carbon canister I reckon.

What is the point of doing it on the wing side? it's not a mk2 golf which has a cold air feed to outside there. Best place to drill / modify would be just underneath after removing the carbon canister I reckon.

Yeah that's true. Holes on the wing side though will still draw in air from the front of the car. THe main reason you want the wholes wing side is less water ingress. Drill them on the engine side and it'll soon sog up your filter. Another good reason to use a filter like a K&N as they don't hold water like a paper one does.

Nick

ok cheers guys! Don't think I'll Swiss cheese it tho! :$ maybe a couple of holes and a nice k&n panel filter. God I hate the limits on a valver! Y can't they make more for them! :(

Your best bet is to do what David Wort said, if you want to play around a little more then simply get some drain pipe and attach it to the brake duct on the airbox side of the car, then knock the carbon canister (that is not fitted on 16v cars) out from the inner wing and you can run the drain pipe directly from the brake duct to the underside centre of the airbox.

Obviously you will need to seal this setup but it does ensure a nice cool air feed and even pressure accross the whole air filter - the OE design tends to loose pressure towards the back of the filter. It is also ensures that if you brake duct starts to eat water at some point (big puddle) then the existing air inlet ensures that water does not get hoovered into the engine - unlike locating a cone filter in the inner wing area.