Sign in to follow this  
Rico

Hard to start when cold, smell of petrol

As the title says really, the car is hard to start when its cold or been sitting for a few hours.

It always starts after about 10 seconds of turning and runs lumpy for 30 seconds. Its almost like its flooding.

I've also got a strong smell of unburned fuel inside the car which goes away when driving but I've so far found no leaks anywhere.

Are the 2 things likely to be related and any clues to the fault?

Cheers.

Start with the usual stuff mate - new plugs, new leads, dizzy cap and rotor arm.. they're not killer expensive and often help with this kind of stuff.

Check all the pipework around the airbox, etc for air leaks - and around the ISV, etc etc. Again often a culprit.

Could also try disconnecting the Cold Start Injector.. thermotime could be knackered and dumping in extra fuel and flooding it from cold meaning it can't start properly. I don't even have mine connected any more and even in the coldest weather last winter it still started on the first turn no problems!

Before teh mods say it - use the search! Typical pointers for fuel smells espcailly now as the temp is dropping are the fuel pipes coming into and out of the fuel rail, check these when teh car is cold, you may find that the feed pipe is perished a teh end, should bre replaced and also needs new clips. Check your fuel pump for the poor starting, this is located in teh boot on the side of the wheel well. I assume its a VR? Fuel smells aslo come from perished injector seals. I've replaced all mine (top & bottom) and fuel feed pipes which has cured the fuel small problem.

Jim the detective :salute:

I won't bother mentioning the digifant fuel lines and fuel rail connectors then.

Trace the fuel lines back, chances are one of them is weeping a little and as petrol is a solvent, the fuel line should be real shiny where the petrol has washed the dirt off.

Thanks for the prompt replies.

I was on my lunch from work so had I had more time I would have searched properly for info but as its fuel related,

I thought I'd just ask!

Yes its a 2.0 16v, sorry for the lack of info supplied!

The smell is coming from the boot so I'll check the fuel lines,pump and top of the tank etc tomorrow.

Get the fuel filter changed too - it could be so gunked up that it's struggling to get fuel through...

Thanks for the prompt replies.

I was on my lunch from work so had I had more time I would have searched properly for info but as its fuel related,

I thought I'd just ask!

Yes its a 2.0 16v, sorry for the lack of info supplied!

The smell is coming from the boot so I'll check the fuel lines,pump and top of the tank etc tomorrow.

You might find the lines are perished around the tank connections or that the lid isn't tight.

i did find I had a fuelly smell a lot in the summer in traffic on the few hot days, ended up putting it down to fuel evaporating out of the tank as I never found any leaks.

Still no further forward with this, where is the cold start injector exactly?

I'm gonna try disconnecting it for a while to see if it helps.

There are definetly no leaks anywhere and the fuel filter has been recently replaced so no problems with that.

Problem solved!

Disconnected the cold start valve this morning before leaving for work,

fuel smell is all but gone and the car is happy to start and drive as normal!