Sign in to follow this  
fla

VR serp belt squeak

Yeah, that should be it then - the G60's are the same, like you say it must be the load, length and the route that affect it...

VW use Contitech belts for the VR but Gates are also OEM on some cars

talken powder mate,sprinkle it on while its running,that will sort it out.

Just tried this, after using various belt dressings. And its cured the squeak immediately. Dont know how long it will last but it was brilliant. Top tip James. Plus the engine bay smells of Johnsons Baby powder now!

Just get VW belts. Pattern belts seem to do this lots and lots as the pulleys age. The VW belts have stitching through them and on the backs which seems to eliminate this noise.

Went through an experiment on my old G60 after fitting pattern belts which sounded bloody AWFUL - went back to a VW belt and it never made another squeak.

Going to look into some genuine VW belts on my current Corrado also - pattern belts fitted last year by Stealth, and now I get bloody awful squealing first thing in the morning for about a minute every single day without fail. Can't be bothered with screwing about with talcum powder in the engine bay!

Worth a mention though that I sourced a product a few years back called Rocol Belt Dressing - had to go to some industrial unit in Cov where they sold plant equipment but this stuff was excellent and is designed to eliminate belt slip & squeal and help prolong the life of tired belts. Really worked well on older / knackered belts but didn't help shut up noisy pattern ones.

It won't last buddy. I top my talc up every time I go for a drive. :camp:
Unfortnately you're right. I got te belt from AVS, and it had the fabric within it, so i assumed it was a good product. Belt dressing has not helped at all, in fact if anything it has made it worse. I'm going to remove and rough it up a bit and then see if that makes any difference. Yesterday it took about half an hour for the seueak to subside, but the oil temp didnt get above 80C. How much is the belt from VW?

let try again. sorry to the mods, honest mistake the second time around

the squeak is back! the story so far.....

originally i used a dayco belt which squeeked from day one (brand new), would only stop if i used talc powder or silicone spray etc. that would last about 5 mins, so not an answer.

got rid of that belt and used a 5mm shorter 6 ribbed belt, the squeek disappeared for a few days then came back.

each time it came back after treating the belt the squeek would be unbearable and constant, getting worse as the revs were up'ed (again the treatment would last about 5mins)

i called it a day about a month ago and bought a genuine vw belt, installed it, the squeek went again, but it took about 3weeks before it started showing its head again, it has got worse over the week, now i cant drive the car.

what should i do????

it sounds like the belt is slipping on the crank pulley as it did before, water pump, aux tens, power steering and alt are new. the noise goes when i put talc powder or spray on the ribbed side of the belt anywhere in the line. its not a bearing noise or wobbly pulley, its definately belt slip of some sort. the tensioner is tensioning as it should, i cant get my head round this one, the squeek vanished for miles and miles, then came back!?? its not get overly damp or wet either, tbh, it rained more when the squeek had vanished.

would buying a new crank pulley, or possibly a lightweight alloy one be a solution? has anyone else even experienced this?

if the nosie doesnt stop soon therell be a nice shiney vr up for sale it driving me up the wall!!!

Hi R4-GE.

Just wondering, did you ever manage to stop your squeeling? If so, what did you do?!

I have been having EXACTLY the same problem with my VR for months now. Tried new belts, thinner belts, wire brushes, sandpaper, powder, cleaning, swearing, and shouting. But all to no avail...

It's getting just stupid now.

Sorry to bring this thread up again ;)

Chris

Hi R4-GE.

Just wondering, did you ever manage to stop your squeeling? If so, what did you do?!

I have been having EXACTLY the same problem with my VR for months now. Tried new belts, thinner belts, wire brushes, sandpaper, powder, cleaning, swearing, and shouting. But all to no avail...

It's getting just stupid now.

Sorry to bring this thread up again ;)

Chris

replaced my crank pulley as it was damaged. noise went straight away and never returned.

if youve never had your engine out its unlikely it'll be the crank pulley, it was a very rare problem i had.

suggestions, use a genuine belt, make sure your water pump, aux tensioner, alternator and power steering pump are ok. check pulleys and belt for wear. the belt will usually show where its rubbing. watch the belt and pulleys to check for unusual wobbling etc. if its a belt squeak itll be one of the pulleys causing it.

have you taken your power steering pulley off recently? check that on the right way, when it is, there may still be a slight wobble from this pulley but that shouldn't make it squeak as mine wobbles slightly.

I Initially thought it was my belt as I had an aftermarket one. Swapped it for a VW/continental belt and it went away for a while. Soon returned and it turned out the tensioner itself was fooked.

VW serpentine belts and tensionners don't seem to be the best of designs, mk4 golf ones are no better, petrol and diesel alike, tensionner pulley and idler pulley bearings are crap and the belts squeek too, makes no difference if pattern or VAG.

They simply need changing from time to time.

VW serpentine belts and tensionners don't seem to be the best of designs, mk4 golf ones are no better, petrol and diesel alike, tensionner pulley and idler pulley bearings are crap and the belts squeek too, makes no difference if pattern or VAG.

They simply need changing from time to time.

though a genuine belt is of much better quality and worth the extra £

I must admit, I for some reason thought I had a VW one fitted but I don't...Will fir one this weekend and see how it goes, will let you know!

Thanks!

Chris

Hi. A wee warning not to ignore belt squeak for too long.... my 96,000 mile VR6 started squeaking around the belt area a few months back, usually when cold but going away after driving a few miles.

Just before Christmas the squeak/skreech started happening for most of the time. My garage checked it out during the M.O.T. and suggested it was the belt tensioner wheel bearing (black 'plastic' ribbed wheel just back from the Alternator pully, beside the air filter), and so I booked it in to get fixed.

Unfortunately, over the weekend, I was driving along at 50mph when I heard a dull thud and suddenly found myself with no power steering and an alternator warning lamp. I stopped, examined the engine bay and oops, discovered the tensioner wheel had disintegrated and was in broken/melted pieces under the bonnet!

The belt was still on but loose (obviously) so I manged to limp home about 3 miles, stopping every mile or so to let the engine cool down (yes, no water pump either), hoping all the time that the electric fan, which was having to work overtime, would not drain the battery too much and that I did not crash the car due to the tricky non-power assisted steering.

The garage fitted a new VW belt tensioner and belt (~£80 + £30) and the car is running really well now. Goodness knows how long the bearing had been stiffening up but I'm sure that, I am now getting better fuel consumption.

David.

this reminds me i must get a new one as mine is doing the same as the above post squeeky on start up and then goes away

i beleve its poss to replace just the bearing (in the wiki) i will get this done as i dont want to get stranded

Yesterday I drove about 250 miles home after buying a lovely corrado with no noise and no problem. Got home and literally on my road it started whining, alternator light (battery) came on and I lost power steering. I stormed in the house, looked it up and realised it was something to do with the belt or pulley but couldn't see anything that looked obviously wrong (I am new to these cars though and haven't got the best engine knowledge anyway!). Started it again today to see if the noise was still there and after 20 second it came back, got worse and then there was a little puff of smoke from the drivers side of the bonnet. I shit myself, turned the engine off and popped the bonnet. Turns out the tensioner pulley TensionerPulley6.jpg

had completely disintegrated all over the surrounding parts! I was a bit relieved in a way that I could at least see something wrong and it may not be anything else more serious.

I've read that it is best to buy genuine parts for this so I am going to order a pulley. Can you just get the pulley or will I have to buy the whole body, arm and pulley? I will also order a new belt. Does anyone know the part numbers for these please (94 vr6)?

I'm a bit worried that this was happening for a chunk of the motorway driving and if so (without scaring me too much!) what could this have affected or damaged? Is there anything else I should check while doing the work (or getting it done)?

I'm sick my new toy is already off the road but I'm hoping it isn;t much of a deal and I will be back on the road asap. Any help would be appreciated as I want to get it sorted asap and then I can get some pictures uploaded!

buy the complete tensioner from gsf. they sell the genuine part, only difference is that the part no's etc will be ground off. otherwise youll be spending more at vw when there is no need.

dont think vw do the pulley and bearing separate. you can buy aftermarket ones but i would just get the gsf one. if you do try to replace the bearing + pulley remember the bolt is a left hand thread (clockwise to undo it)

Cheers mate. Think my mate the mechanic was going to get parts from here but I can't get hold of him and want to get it done asap. He said he could get genuine parts cheaper than Volkswagen so must be it. There is a gsf shop in Liverpool so I will call them tomorrow and see what exact part numbers it is...I couldn't be 100% sure from their site for a 94 corrado vr6...sure they can tell me though. Hopefully it will all be stocked and I will get it done asap. Do you know what kind of tools I will need just to do this job? Apreciate the help!

Cheers mate. Think my mate the mechanic was going to get parts from here but I can't get hold of him and want to get it done asap. He said he could get genuine parts cheaper than Volkswagen so must be it. There is a gsf shop in Liverpool so I will call them tomorrow and see what exact part numbers it is...I couldn't be 100% sure from their site for a 94 corrado vr6...sure they can tell me though. Hopefully it will all be stocked and I will get it done asap. Do you know what kind of tools I will need just to do this job? Apreciate the help!

gsf only do 1 vr6 tensioner and they will fit all vr6's. it is definately a genuine part as well to put your mind at ease, i bought one not so long ago.

youll need a long bolt to relieve the tension on the tensioner (cant remember what size, you see the threaded hole in the tensioner) and a 13mm socket for the 3 bolts on the side of the head.

cheers mate! :notworthy: Keep an eye on this thread or my my newbie one because no doubt I will be asking all sorts of daft questions! It's more out of fear of messing something up...better safe than sorry I suppose but I will try to keep it all to a minimum!

What do you think the chances are that my alternator, coolant pump or power steering pump are goosed too? I am hoping the parts will arrive today and I will fit them on Wednesday in my driveway without having to lift the car up or anything. Is there any easy ways of knowing if these are goosed? I'm hoping the tensioner and new belt will go on and sort it but I would rather check whilst I am there.

Cheers

water pump is always worth doing if your not sure of age/mileage/condition. but the engine needs to be lifted slightly to do it.

as for alternator/PAS pump, leave them. you'll soon find out if there no good. but if they worked fine before the tensioner went they should be fine now, doubt the tensioner breaking would have caused too many problems, end of the day they are just spinning pulleys, you may have experienced heavy-ish steering without the tensioner but that will rectify itself with a new one.

Think I will leave the coolant pump for now (unless it's goosed). How would I know if it was affected...temperatures? I'm hoping the other pumps are fine. Got my parts today (£103 for genuine tensioner and belt in WW boxes through my mate's garage) and got a day off tomorrow so I'm going to give it a go. Can't even really get it to the garage as it is stuck in my drive...too awkward to get out pushing it and don't want to drive it. Wish me luck anyway.

Well all has been fine until today. Drove to work fine (maybe temps a bit high but that's another story!) and pulling into the car park the power steering went again and and stalled (this could have been my fault through the shock of the power steering going and looking at the battery warning light). The car started again fine with no light and the power steering working. I am a bit confused because I popped the bonnet and the tensioner and belt looked OK...but I did only glance cos I was running late for work.

Can anyone suggest anything? The tensioner pulley I replaced was in pieces (just the plastic bit) so maybe it has affected one of the other pulleys or something. I haven't done many miles since I changed it all (because I'm paranoid) but have had no problems.

Think I am probably best getting it to a garage and maybe having vac-com and an expert eye. Any suggestions from the forum?