Sign in to follow this  
gregulate

VR6 Oil Problems

Hello, my VR6 engine (on 84k) is burning quite a lot of oil recently - I have to put about a litre or so in every fortnight. Theres no mayo in the filler cap and no white smoke but I do get the occasional fragrance of oil burning, particularly when idling in traffic.

Theres a smell of petrol from the exhaust at low temp but this goes once the engine has warmed, similarly theres a bit of mechanical noise coming from the bay and a whine in first gear (like a reverse gear whine) but only when cold.

I know nothing about engines so any suggestions about why its using so much oil would be extremely helpful. Thanks.

Check the plugs to see if oil is fouling them take particular notice of plugs 1 and 6. If these are fouling but rest arent it could be bore wear. If all are fouling it could be your valve stem seals.

Do you get blue smoke out of the back, esp on overrun?

Hi

If you are not getting any smoke and it smells when you're stuck in traffic, best guess would be a leak on the engine itself, when the pressure is up. Try parking it over some clean newspaper and run it for a few minutes. See if there is anything on the paper. Good check underneath sounds like a plan.

Good luck

Dic

I do get the occasional fragrance of oil burning

Yep, that's the classic "Eau de VR6" and it's about as popular as Old Spice.

At 84K, I'd say valve stems as others have mentioned, but if spark plugs 1 or 6 are oiled, or both, then it's not good news I'm afraid.

Do you get blue smoke out of the back, esp on overrun?

No, no smoke at all. I'l get the plugs looked at then to start with.

Cheers !