Sign in to follow this  
-Neil-

Should my heated seats be on all the time?

Have a look on VAGCAT, I think the loom is part numbered so you might be able to get one from VW.

yep, had a look and found this..

http://www.vagcat.com/epc/cat/vw/COR/1994/76/57/855913/

1- 535971381C

wiring harness for heated seat

Vw have to get it shipped in from Germany, and its £91.52 which includes VAT.

2- 535971382C

wiring harness for heated seat / switch /

just realised this is a seperate part and i forgot to ask a price.

Could anyone let me know if i was to order these 2 parts, would it included everything i need?

The blue /grey is just switch illumination and I think the black is switched 12V feed, thats why it goes down the loom and both of these plug into the top part of the fusebox - you'll see spaces next to other similar 1 pin plugs

The brown is the earth but and I think it should terminate at a point on the chassis close to the relays, again should g down the loom...

I've got a loom but it's been chopped at the switch end,

I've got an idea but want confirmation it'll work...

here is my loom cut...

3.jpg

wires that are cut are the :-

Brown

grey/blue

black

and here is how it should look...

2008_1026Image0035.jpg

So far i've worked out i could:-

Extend and put a plug on the end of the grey/blue wire to fuse box

Extend and put a plug on the end of the black wire that comes from the black plug further down loom, then that goes to fuse box

But where does the little black wire from the switch go?

and also, where in the fuse box do i put the two plugs?

Any help is greatly wanted!!

The blue /grey is just switch illumination and I think the black is switched 12V feed, thats why it goes down the loom and both of these plug into the top part of the fusebox - you'll see spaces next to other similar 1 pin plugs

The brown is the earth but and I think it should terminate at a point on the chassis close to the relays, again should g down the loom...

I dont understand where the little black wire goes from the dash switch, if you look at the pic above, the upper left of the picture, there is no thin black wire in that black plug which then connects to the rest of the loom, only the main thick black power wire that goes to the fuse box.

ive got some diagrams for these if you give me an email

i cut n shortened my look to fit a golf...iirc they change colours under the insulation lol

hmm, ive taken the black insulation tape off and cant see anything under it which will help me find out where the thin black wire from the switch goes?

I've got this diagram but i can see where the thin black wire goes!

download/file.php?id=59547

well i think i may have figured it out, from looking at the diagram the thin black wire joins the big thick wire at O2.

dia.jpg

and as someone said above, the thick black wire turns into the balck/yellow wire...

diapic.jpg

so, if i just join the thin black wire to the thick black wire, and plug it into the fuse box, it should work?

So far i've worked out i could:-

Extend and put a plug on the end of the grey/blue wire to fuse box

Extend and put a plug on the end of the black wire that comes from the black plug further down loom, then that goes to fuse box

But where does the little black wire from the switch go?

and also, where in the fuse box do i put the two plugs?

Any help is greatly wanted!!

Grey/Blue wire has a small plug and does go straight to the fusebox

Brown wire does join the main loom to position 6 on the plug that connects the two parts of the loom together

Black wire from the switch end joins the black wire from the loom plug end and together they form a single wire that has a small plug on the end and does go straight to the fusebox

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdf2008_1103Image0036.JPG[/attachment:md31tlev]

2008_1103Image0037.JPG[/attachment:md31tlev]

thats brilliant, thank you so much shaun!

only thing i need now is to find out where these two wires with plugs on them go.....

Grey blue - Switch Illumination

TV8 (NOTE: The TV terminals are not numbered in the car, you therefore have to guess which one is which, some are obvious, some are not!) but don't worry too much about it if that's not possible!

Black - Main Power to Seat Heating

Connects into TV5 behind the relay plate (supply to this terminal block should be by black/white wire, this may or may not be already installed in your car, that's hard to predict). TV5 in turn connects to the relay plate at D socket, terminal 9. Have you ever done anything with the relay plate? To get the plugs out you have to pull a large square plastic rod out that runs through the centre of the plate and locates all the plugs. If you have the relay plate hanging down you should be able to see which socket is D as they are all marked, then locate terminal 9 on the plug to get the cable in. Also check that you have a 10 amp fuse in S14.

I have no idea what this means, can anyone give me an idiots guide to where to put them?

Reading that I guess they are talking about the fusebox. It's where all the relays plug and it has the black slide bar in the centre that you slide so you can remove the plug ends of the looms from the fusebox. The TV's must refer to the positions on the fusebox that the looms plug into. But as Supercharged has already said the two single wire plugs plug into the top of the fusebox. I guess it's round the back of the fusebox as you look at it. There can't be that many empty single plugs slots. Can there?

Hi Neil,

Just replied to your PM, sorry I didn't get back to you night but I was out for dinner. You seem to have most of the information already including pics of the back of the fuse box/relay plate etc, on the drawing of it you can see socket D, terminal 9 (D/9) where the heated seats feed comes from. Hopefully you already have a black/white wire coming from there to plug the thick black in to.

It all in the PM anyway.

If you don't get it sorted I can help you out but I am in Saudi until almost Christmas and I'm pretty sure you'll have it done by then!

*********** NEW QUESTION *******************

Ok so i wired my heated seats up today, and used the red/grey live and grey/blue illumination from the cig lighter as i dont have them little plug to put into the fuse box, i'll do this at a later date.

The relays click when going from 0 to any higher number,and the click changes depending on the temp, so if i put it on 4 from being on 0, it clicks, then if i leave it for a while, then turn the down to 2, it clicks again, then if i turn it to 0, it'll click once the temp reaches 0.

But the actual seats dont get warm themselves, when i brought them i was told they were working, which i believe.

HELP, I'm getting fed up now!

Neil

*********** NEW QUESTION *******************

Ok so i wired my heated seats up today, and used the red/grey live and grey/blue illumination from the cig lighter as i dont have them little plug to put into the fuse box, i'll do this at a later date.

The relays click when going from 0 to any higher number,and the click changes depending on the temp, so if i put it on 4 from being on 0, it clicks, then if i leave it for a while, then turn the down to 2, it clicks again, then if i turn it to 0, it'll click once the temp reaches 0.

But the actual seats dont get warm themselves, when i brought them i was told they were working, which i believe.

HELP, I'm getting fed up now!

Neil

They certainly worked when we took them out of the car, first thing we missed with the unheated recaros :(

Do you own or have access to a multimeter? Maybe worth checking the outputs from the relays, check at the seat plugs. Also, do they have a good earth? No point having power if the loom isn't grounded, the wiring diagram shows loads of earth connections (all along the bottom of the drawing).

well i feel abit stupid tbh, i left them on for ages and just kept putting my hand on them to see if they were getting warm, and couldnt feel anything, but then i went for a drive and i felt the toastyness of them, so they both work fine!

But should they work without the key in the ignition? Because mine do, but wont that mean that their on all the time?

Oh, and i cant have the mains power in the cig lighter, it made the car stall loads, so i'm going to have to put the mains wire to the fuse box, fun fun fun!

well i feel abit stupid tbh, i left them on for ages and just kept putting my hand on them to see if they were getting warm, and couldnt feel anything, but then i went for a drive and i felt the toastyness of them, so they both work fine!

But should they work without the key in the ignition? Because mine do, but wont that mean that their on all the time?

Oh, and i cant have the mains power in the cig lighter, it made the car stall loads, so i'm going to have to put the mains wire to the fuse box, fun fun fun!

It's probably because you had the feed coming from the cig lighter rather than the correct feed that they were on all the time, the cig lighter is powered up all the time, take it from the correct feed and it'll be switched with the ignition.

Regarding the car stalling that's a whole other thing, might be that the alternator is not up to the job, maybe under-rated for the extra power required for the seat heating???

At least they're working, you can cure the other stuff as you go along :D