Sign in to follow this  
Chris Smith

VR6 Oil Smell

:wave:

Hi

My new Corrado is giving off a perculiar hot oil smell when she warms up and can be smelled while in the driver's seat even with the windows closed.

I popped the hood when I got home and could not find any immediate evidence of a leak :scratch:

Are there any common problems which might be causing this?

Thanks for the tip Toad.

I'm not sure where to find the PCV, but I think I got it in these photos. I does appear to be a bit oily around this area, I'll do a bit more investigating. It only tends to start smelling after about 30 mins on the road or if i've been giving it a bit of stick.

That's the PCV valve. Typically it has fallen apart after many years of heating and cooling cycles and is breathing crank case vapours straight to the atmosphere.

Sounds like what mine was doing - and yes that PCV valve had split, glued it up and much better now. I still get a vague oil smell sometimes so I might have more leaks elsewhere...

Ok, thanks guys. As per thisthread I'm going to look at changing the PCV.

Tonedef very kindly dug out his paper work for me and gave me some part numbers for this valve from ford..

F7364573 N/STK 002881/VALVE A

It was 24.98 inc VAT

I was driving my Corrado today and I got a very pungent smell of burning oil. I was then met with smoke billowing out from beneath the bonnet.

The oil leak seems to have grown. The smoke was coming from the point circled in red in the picture below.

Any ideas as to why this might be happening?

The big bolt head in the centre of the circle is the timing chain tensioner bolt and unlikely (unless loose) to be related to your problem. I'd guess maybe your cam cover gasket is leaking?