Sign in to follow this  
PhatVR6

Very Poor headlights

I'm not sure it's down to the car being lower at the front than the back or what, but my dipped beam range is utterly shocking, I have to drive with foglights on all the time just to be able to see.

Also, I'm sick of having to wipe them clean ever half an hour.

Are all corrado lights this sh1t or is it all down to the aim?

I used to have 4x100W bulbs in my Rallye lights, and they were tremendous on full beam. Does anyone run uprated bulbs in corrado lmaps? I can make an uprated, relayed loom up easy enough, but do uprated bulbs cause any problems with the lamps themselves?

What about HID kits?

I may just fit the Rallye lights, with a HID kit for good measure. :shock:

100W bulbs - Illegal, but the lamps themselves are man enough for them.

HID - too expensive.

Best/cheapest solution - One of Gav's (or yours) looms with Osram Silver Star H4s.

Kev

Yeah, I can make my own looms, but I've never really thought they made much difference unless you uprate the bulbs too. I wanted to know what sucess other peopl had with higher wattage bulbs, as they didn't used to last long in he Rallye lamps. I had to leave the rubber boots off the back of the lights to let the heat out or they'd just start melting stuff.

Honestly, they are horrendous, the ones on my 1980 Derby are better!

Out of interest, what are the Corrado bulb fitments, I haven't even looked! H4's in the outer lamps I'm guessing?

100W bulbs - Illegal, but the lamps themselves are man enough for them.

HID - too expensive.

Best/cheapest solution - One of Gav's (or yours) looms with Osram Silver Star H4s.

Kev

As kev has said a HID conversion is expensive as you not only have to install new lamps, but you need them to Auto level and they must be fitted with washers too, to be legal in europe. the corrodo headlamp is not deep enough either for the focol length of the beam. PLUS you will need a dome lense and replace the normal lense with a clear non prisem type.

I think Niko did a converstion with some golf rallye headlights i cant remember though.

I found the same with uprated bulbs in my old Golf, they just blow too easily, even in Winter!

Just changing the loom on a Corrado is enough to make a huge difference and modern Xenon 60/55 bulbs are almost as bright as 100W jobbies.

The bulbs in the Corrado are H4 for the mains and the spots are H2, I think and the sidelights are the bayonet variety (just in case you buy some Osram H4s as they come with free Phillips blue ice side light bulbs).

K

the side lights ARE the bayonet veriety, and if you want a side light upgrade i have just the solution.

Go to a Halfords Superstore and buy a 7w bulb to fit the side lights, i got one at home, i'll post a pic later and a reference if any. its a funny shape bulb and need a bit of wiggleing to made fit but it works.

Does anyone ever use the sidelights?? I never do.

B0llocks to 'legality', I need to be able to see in the dark before I crash my car!

Technically you use the sidelights all the time the headlights are on, but I'm not going to argue about that...

;)

Does anyone ever use the sidelights?? I never do.

B0llocks to 'legality', I need to be able to see in the dark before I crash my car!

Volvo and Saab drivers don't get any choice in the matter !

im using bosch super blue h4 and h3 bulbs (normall wattage) from ECP and they are a vast improvement already.... im fitting my loom at the weekend and hope to see yet another improvement!

next thing is the fog lights.... foggy all day yesterday and everyone elses fog lights are nice a bright white.....Corrado ones....dull yellow!!! cant they get the lighting sorted BEFORE selling them too general public?? :roll:

we should all work at VW, make a proper car! :)

im using bosch super blue h4 and h3 bulbs (normall wattage) from ECP and they are a vast improvement already.... im fitting my loom at the weekend and hope to see yet another improvement!

next thing is the fog lights.... foggy all day yesterday and everyone elses fog lights are nice a bright white.....Corrado ones....dull yellow!!! cant they get the lighting sorted BEFORE selling them too general public?? :roll:

we should all work at VW, make a proper car! :)

Mine are white :lol:

They sold MK1s with cr@p brakes and an ineffective heater! And what about that American car with the fuel tank a couple of cms away from the rear bumper bolts.....!

The Germans obviously don't drive much at night :!:

K

Running a dip-and-high loom conversion and 100w bulbs.

I can see :)

Got through an MOT with them, so can't be that obviously illegal!

They're Ice Blue ones, so a slight blue tint but mostly very white light. 'Tis nice :)

Been in 9 months and had 1 headlight blow (about a week ago) and just over a month ago the main feed from the battery fuse blew - losing main and high beam on a pitch black road! Ooops! Good ol' foglights to the rescue (when I figured out that I could still use them after about a minute of fiddling).

I keep some fuses in the glove box now - juuust in case.

Volvo and Saab drivers don't get any choice in the matter !

They can always pull the fuse out that controls the always on sidelights... 8)

The extra wiring looms make so much difference to the lights on most VWs you wouldn't believe it from people telling you.... :roll: I first made one for my first MKI golf and was gob-smacked by the difference it made! I've just bought one of Gavin's looms for my C as I can't be bothered to make my own any more, and after seeing how well/nicely his are made, I probably wouldn't have done half as nice a job making my own anyway! :lol: 8)