Sign in to follow this  
loopylindsay

subframe help

does anyone know if a mk2 1.8l 8v 1989 gti subframe will fit a 1.8l 16v 1990 corrado!?

mine has horribly just failed its mot with holes by the wishbones.

unless any one has a corrado one for sale?

the monkey has deleverd some good info! ha ha,I forgot about thoem extra holes at the rear! but to be fair they still fit in and should do the same job,and that big stupid iron block is not going to stop you fitting, its dumb weight!

yeah you're right, it will fit! I just got put off because if the Corrado has a golf chassis, then why do they have different subframes? Maybe that block stops the frame vibrating on cornering, and would ruin the handling without it!:shrug:

feel free to experiment if you like :)

I experimented removing the vibration damper block years ago, the only negative effect I was aware of is that when traveling at speeds around 70-80mph I experienced a tiny bit more noise/drone similar to that of a straight through exhaust etc. So I decided to leave it off since Corrado's are heavy enough!

yeah, been wondering about this myself, apparently the cable change box mechanism was supposed to do something similar (transfer less noise to the cabin), but to me there seems little point when the 16v engine in particular is hardly refined, I'd rather put a couple of kilo's of soundproofing in instead!

I've already lost a kilo or two this week by moving to a fixed steering column, so another couple is more good news :)

I experimented removing the vibration damper block years ago, the only negative effect I was aware of is that when traveling at speeds around 70-80mph I experienced a tiny bit more noise/drone similar to that of a straight through exhaust etc. So I decided to leave it off since Corrado's are heavy enough!

How do you know that it wasn't actually doing something useful? Perhaps now your subframe bolts are working their way loose as we speak...it's entirely plasuble! I'd rather have an extra 5kg below the centre of gravity than a droning a cruising speed, that's like the worst thing.

If VW fitted it at the factory, there's gotta be a reason for it :salute:

Yep thought you would comment on that boost monkey, the same issues did cross my mind, but the noise was only if you were aware and listening out for it. I check things over all the time & no probs, I'm guessing over many years unchecked areas/items could maybe stress crack/fracture through vibration, but I can't see it being that bad can you? I'm sure it's just a crude add-on to dial in refinement.

yeah you're probs right, I'm just in no position to run without something like this as I have zero financial cushion should something go wrong! I sold my golf subframe a couple of weeks ago, but as has been said it will line up/ fit perfectly well, the two frames are the same dimensions.

well it's simply listed as a balance weight on ETKA, and was only introduced when the Passat came out in 1988, the only golf mk2 to get one was the G60 which shares almost all it's bits with the Corrado, including gearbox and subframe.

Even the mk2 16v never got the balance weight so I can't see it's that essential.

These sort of refinements pop up all over the place, I've seen a MK3 golf at stealth with Focus rear vibration damping widgets on the rear calipers and other manufacturers add seemingly random chunks of metal to stop resonance on all sorts of parts. I guess it's one of those things that's very hard to dentify in the design and testing stages in production and often only gets added as an update in chassis production lives.

I've had no vibration damper on my offside driveshaft for years and I've never had any problems with that, even doing well over 130 on the autobahn this summer.