Sign in to follow this  
Howard1778

Heater matrix

The heater matrix on my VR6 has sprung a leak, can anyone tell me the best or easiest way to take the centre console out in order to replace it?

Thanks

there's a guide on the wiki for how to do the whole matrix - http://the-corrado.net/wiki/index.php/H ... eplacement

it's a bit of an arsehole of a job though, so set aside a day to do it just to be sure (depending on your spannering skills obviously)

as far as i can remember from doing mine, to take the centre console out there are a couple of screws in the lower well, a couple behing the fag lighter/ash tray. 4 behind the front trim of the heater controls. one that's a sod to get to in the roof of the vents in the top and a couple (for some bizzare reason) behind the heated screen/foglight switches, which are easier to get to if you remove the instrcuments surround too...

the little bits of plastic venting etc are all sods to remove as they will invariably get wedged against everything in sight when you try to remove them, so have patience here!

hope all goes well - it's reasonably obvious what has to be done once you get started and can see everything

hope that helps :)

I've done this on 3 MKII Golfs and a Passat and it's a horrible job for scrapping your hands on bits of plastic moulding and fighting with things that just won't come out like they should. Very satisfying though when it's all done and you've got furnace like dry heat coming from your vents.

Nick