Sign in to follow this  
Corrado_Addict

New Steering Rack Required

Hey guys,

Car has been in the garage for a few days getting a couple of bits and pieces done, steering rack the garage got was left hand drive so I need to get a new steering rack and I've went through the list of breakers but ideally I want a brand new one, got a couple of places off here that do new parts as well so i'm gonna give a call in the morning, well in a few hours lol

Would it be worth just getting one from VW direct?

GSF do refurbed ones. VW will of course be able to supply, and it'll be arguably the best quality of any options, but it's usually also a refurbed part and it'll cost mucho dollarrrr...

Managed to get one from autocarparts, it seems that most of the suppliers do refurbished ones which come with a warranty, ideally I wanted it direct from VW but at 550 a pop that was out of budget, if I hadn't spent the cash I had in the bank on part of my website design I could have went for it but got one ordered from autocarparts now.

The high pressure lines on the rack were knacked, could go along the road and turn the wheel more than a 1/4 each way and it wouldn't make a difference to where the car went lol

i suppose thats not too bad at all..especially when you consider the price VW charge..have you had a chance to fit it? has it made a lot of difference to the steering feel? did you change any other parts in the process?

Aye I was happier with it, I've not actually had the car back yet, itching to get driving it again. In the end I was having so much hassle as the rack they had originally was for a left hand drive model then the rack i got from eurocarparts after asking the guy was it the right one turned out not to have the correct number of splines after i asked him to make sure it would be, so i eventually got another one (at this point the car had been in the garage nearly 3 weeks) which was perfect in everyway but again the wrong feckin number of splines lol

It was the high pressure lines on my steering rack that were knacked originally so he suggested just swapping the pipes from the new one over to the old one which is in perfect condition, no leaks etc. So I'm finally getting the car back monday morning :D