Sign in to follow this  
VRev6

Changing the wheel bearing??

Hi guys,

For some while now I've been getting a humming sound coming from my front o/s wheel when going round right hand bends which, after reading different threads on this forum has lead me to think its my wheel bearing. :cry:

How easy a job is this for someone who has very limited mechanical knowledge.

Would it be simple to do with just the Bentley manual? How much would it cost and how long should it take?

Cheers in advance :D

You need a hydraulic press to press the new bearing in.

It's easier to get hold of another set of front hubs, clean them up, paint them, have the new bearings fitted, then swap them over.

Hmmmmm a hydraulic press - don't think i got :D one of those!!

how much is a new hub then? are they easy enough to just swap?

don't buy a new one, just get some second hand ones.

unless you know of a local garage, that has a press, and you know they will press them for you there and then, do not take your car to bits.

Unless i know what im doing beforehand i wont take my car to bits.

I'm getting the bentley manual on CD-Rom will this be of great help to me or do you need a certain amount of mechanical knowledge to use it?

cheers for ya help. :D

I have seen them done without the use of a press(or safety net). The guy just used an exceedingly large vice!

Also, if you do it yourself, take the hub and strut off by disconnecting it at the bottom balljoint no need to get the tracking and camber sorted!!! If you disconnect the strut from the hub it'll be an extra £50 at least.

Gavin

dont use a vice as you will crush the new bearing and then need another new one. get someone that knows what they are doing.

No butts - make sure the bearing is pressed in properly with a hydraulic press.... I had a mate with a celica who did the front bearing himself - looking pretty chuffed with himself he was miffed when car sounded worse with new bearing than with old one in so I took a look at it....

I asked him how he put the new bearing in and he pointed out a large socket from a socket set and a large hammer..... :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bearings are just under £35 inc from VW. Other people on this forum have had poor results with pattern spares so I just bought two front bearings from VW. I am lucky to have a mate with a hydraulic press so I'll be taking them off Thurs evening, he'll fit the bearings Friday and I'll put it back together Saturday. I'll then get all the front re-alligned anyway to be sure.

Any recommendations for places to get the allignment done?

Yep, hub off and down to a machine shop! its only 2 bolts on the strut, off with the track road end from the steering rack ,and unleash the ball joint on the wishbone... take you an hour max prob (yeah right ), sweating swearing and crying mind you :D

Bolster if you take the strut out like I said, Top mount, ball joint and trck rod end, there'll be no need to have the front end set up. Saving money.

Riki, is a hydraulic press not pretty similar to a vice? How would you crush the bearing with a vice.

When I said I had seen them done with a vice, It was by Ian Birch. I think most folk in the VW scene would respect his abilities as a mechanic!!

Gavin

is a hydraulic press not pretty similar to a vice? How would you crush the bearing with a vice.

Gavin

May be possible to do in a large vice (with a struggle), a hydraulic press uses a lot more force & makes the job much easier.

Yep, hub off and down to a machine shop! its only 2 bolts on the strut, off with the track road end from the steering rack ,and unleash the ball joint on the wishbone... take you an hour max prob (yeah right ), sweating swearing and crying mind you :D

what about the hub nut? :p :lol: :wink:

What about the hub nut? :p :lol: :wink:

Good point, thats the first job, cracking that sucka! 30mm. Needs to be 1/2 inch drive not 1/4 :lol:

Ian didn't struggle, he has a big one! :shock:

Gavin

When most people press in a bearing with a vice ( unless you have a bloody huge one!) they tend to use the jaws of the vice to press it in. This can crush the centre of the bearing and make it unusable. If you use a press you will have more space to get the correct sized drift in which presses on the outer edge of the bearing. Its bloody hard work with a vice as well. If you use a press it does the hard work for you.

I am not saying that Ian bodged it useing a vice. He is a god in VW circles in my eyes. The difference is that he has more experience. the fact that you are asking would suggest that you dont. Its not really a job for the inexperienced. I still managed to bugger a few in my !3 years with VW so i should know.

A way to save on the cost would be to take the hub off yourself then get someone to press it in for you. If you are anywhere near Glasgow i will do it for you. It doesnt take long with a press.

Give us a shout if i can help. :D

you can grind down the old outer bearing race and use that as a collar to press them in.

that's how I do rear bearings anyway.