Sign in to follow this  
Pete

Steering

Sorry if this has been covered before, but I can't find anything on a search.

For some reason, my VR6 turns left no probs, but when you trn right the steering seems to increase in weight!?!?!?

Also if let go of the wheel is tends to tramline to the left.

I have standard wheels fitted and my tyre pressure is OK.

Any ideas???

The car is due a service in Jan but I'd like to know the problem before I tell them to check it out.

hey bro had exactly the same problem with mine last week albiet it was pulling to right and heavier to the left. First stop tracking only to find that my front right was toeing in by 9mm. 16 quid 10mins later back on the road no worries. Thatd be the first check if i were you. Although make sure you dont get em at half five like i did cos i was back 10 days later for a re track this time front left was toeing out. i reckon they didnt tighten it up properly or something. It could well be worn balljoints too cos mine are starting to go but theres a fair chance the tracking will help.

try and get a four wheel alignment done and not just the tracking . The camber and castor really afect the way the car handles too. if you take it to a fast fit place they generally dont have the skills or the tools to carry this out properly. As i posted a little while ago every vw dealer should have 4 wheel alignment equipment as a minimum vw requirement. As a pre check prior to doing the geometry they will check the running gear to see if anything is loose or excessivley worn. So they will pick up if anything needs replacing. I think the book time for a camber and toe adjustment is one and a half to two hours. I know that this could seem like a lot of money but if the car is set up correctly by a skilled technician it will feel so much better. Like night and day.