Sign in to follow this  
joinerboy

front wishbone removal

im going to be changing the front wishbones/control arms next week but i can see problems already

on the passenger side all the bolts are clear but on the drivers side the oil pan(i think) is in the way.

i cant see how i can undo the bolt or even remove it.

what should i do?

I was talking about this the other day with the Toad-meister and it seems you either have to remove the sump OR it might be possible to undo the front and rear engine mounts, leaving the gearbox mount as is and jack the engine up, much like you would to change the water pump. :(

when i did mine i undone the engine mounts jacked the engine up and removed and refitted the wishbone....then a few weeks later took the sump off anyway for a big oil change and to pick up some bits of the old tensioner thats were washing around the sump.... :lol:

The engine was out when we (well, Toady) did mine, no idea.

FYI - the suckers only fit back in a certain way. They go in nice and easily from the front of the car and slide back into place.

...however if you try to slide them into place sideways, they won't go. No matter how large the hammer is that you hit them with :lol: :oops:

Did mine by as already mentioned above, release the front and side mounts and jack the engine up. Just enough room to get the bolt out.

thanks for the replies guys

dave when you say you jacked the engine up do you mean from underneath the car or from a stand over the top?

ye dinkus its funny how most things end up being hit with a hammer

Not sure if you'll be doing the ball joints too, but if you are - hold a hammer on the back of the joint and hit it from the front with another hammer. Pops the joint with very little effort at all 8)

Oh and remember to get a full 4-wheel, camber and tracking geometry setup after, so it'll drive like new :)

Will be tackling the wishbones on mine tomorrow with any luck, got some r32 rear bushes to stick in, but the rest seems fine.

Just wanted to confrim that I don't need a ball joint splitter to take the wishbone off?

As far as I remember it's just the front and rear bolts to undo, then the three small bolts that attach to the balljoint and ARB?

If I'm not messing with the track rods or ball joints will I still need to get the tracking done?

Any advice would be great

Thanks,

Andy