Sign in to follow this  
junkie

B&M Quick Shift

James, slightly off topic but can these be fitted from inside the car without having to remove the exhaust?

well.... no, they need to be done from under side,the pivot pin hits the lip on the tunnel section and prevents you from doing so.

There was a thread on the VR6OC about this and others recon you can but ive tried and tried over and over...its defo from the under side unless you want to take a grinder or hammer to the tunnel lip.

Cheers James for the pic, i am looking too for 1 and i was not sure with your post whether you were saying here is a pic or here i have 1 for sale lol.

Any joy with getting yours fitted yet James, easy or hard, mine should be arriving this week.

Apparently the lever is the same length as stock but your pic makes it look longer, is this the case?

Well my exhaust takes me 5 min to get off as its V-banded,if yours is stock or has lovley siezed solid nuts bolts ect it might take longer.

Putting it all together is easy,you need to use some spacers off the old shift to get it the new shift right,its difficult to explain but once you tackle it you should see what i mean and before you bolts it back up,do a trail run to make sure it selects correctly including reverse.

So whats the feeling on it mate.

Notchy or nice?

How much shorter is it?

Are they side to side as well as back and forth?

Simon I'm fitting the neuspeed shifter which is a complete replacement for the shifter. Should be excellent after. Will let you know... AwesomeGTI sell them

Cheers again James.

@ Leon, i got a good deal on the BBM so thought i would give it a try, but yea let us know how it goes.

i managed to fit my short shift kit from inside the car...

so much better than the original shifter, loads shorter! a little notchy, but i like that, gives a positive feel on the shift

i cant remember off the top of my head as i fitted mine about 3 years ago!

i really dont remember getting under the car to do anything, and def not taking the exhaust off as it only took me about half an hour to fit. its bloody tight to get in, but with some not so gentle persuassion it went in. the shifter is bolted in from the top, its just tricky to get in and out from the top which i think is the problem. if you dont mind doing some levering with a screwdriver or similar, it will go.

this is all based on an early g60, might be different for later cars?

i also remember doing a repair on the roadside to my mates b&m in a mk2 golf with a cable shift conversion, and we def didnt go underneath

Well mine is early too so might just have to try in the top unlike James car is late so may be some differences in the tunnel. B&M do say exhaust off though.

ive been thinking about this, and i 100% have not been under the car to fit the shifter. it can be fitted from the top, just requires some brute force in places as its tight!

get it in, only takes about half an hour