Sign in to follow this  
CaiosG60 PWR

Fuel pump diagram??

Can somebody either post or email me a diagram of the in-tank fuel pump. I'm going to check the filter on it tomorow. It'd be a great help if I knew what to expect when I open the tank up. Cheers

Not got pics but I have replaced mine. I bust the orginal trying to check the filter. Chuff :(

Anyway the deal is:

Lift the boot carpet, take off access panel(3 screws) disconnect wiring and the two petrol pipes(note which goes where). I have some special pliers for doing the std fit clips which allows you to re-use them. You might need to $hag them to get them off. Replace with jubilee clips???

Undo the big ring, knock it round with a hammer and drift.

Once yoy have the ring off the plate with the electrics and pipe connections lifts out a fair way but remains connected to the pump/gauge sender assembly.

Last job, grab hold of the pump/gauge assembly and turn it anticlockwise. It is held in on a bayonet fitting. Once released, you need to f**k about, getting the whole thing, out of a hole that appears to be too small. It does come out.

"Refitting is reverse of removal"

If you break it, you can get the same pump from a VR6/GTI/GTI 16V MK3 Golf, most of the 2 litre 8V Passats. The pump is a 4 BAR one and although they are made by a number of manufacturers they are interchangeable.

Cheers

Gavin

Just note that although they might be interchangeable, you might find that the fuel gauge under- or over-reads afterwards...

Which means opening her up and bending the float arm the appropriate way to resolve that. Pain in the butt!

The pump I got was from a VR6. There is a spring rod on the fuel pump that is attached to the sender. My fuel gauge reads perfect. I did carry a gallon with me for a while just in case. I always bottled it and filled up before it ran out.

I got the tool from the Snap On man at work. It looks like it would pull teeth pretty good too!!

I'll see if I can find it on the website for you.

Gavin

EDIT, can't find them. He will be in work tomorrow, I'll get the details and post them later.

Cheers mate, how much is that clip tool. Is it the same as the one for the external fuel filter? Can I get it from German + Swedish or Euro Car Parts.

Cai - use steel jubilee clips, far better design IMO (don't use the alloy jubille clips - they're totally useless)

1 - Fuel gauge sending unit harness connector

2 - Sealing ring

3 - Flange assembly

4 - Return port from fuel pressure regulator

5 - Supply port to fuel filter

6 - Retaining ring

7 - Pre-supply hose

8 - Sealing ring, upper - pull in through upper housing (19) and fasten using lock ring (21)

9 - Fuel pump

10 - O-ring, lower - pull into lower housing and attach using rings (14 and 15)

11 - Deadener rubber - between fuel pump and retaining ring (6)

12 - Filter/strainer

13 - Housing, lower section

14 - Retaining ring, lower

15 - Bayonet ring

16 - Screw

17 - O-ring

18 - Screw

19 - Housing, upper section

20 - Return hose

21 - Retaining ring, upper - unclip using screwdriver

22 - Electrical terminals for fuel pump

23 - Harness connector for fuel gauge sending unit