Sign in to follow this  
zak

bosch vr6 alternator regulator

I tried the search but seems its never been asked before....

Has anyone changed theres before? From what im aware its internal, is it easy to change and wheres the best place to get one from?

I stripped my alternator down today and the bosch part number for the voltage regulator is 1 197 311 23. This is for a 120 amp alternator so not sure if the 70amp or 90 amp are any different. I sourced a new one from a local alternator refurb place but using the bosch part number you can order it from any bosch dealer

I'd have thought they'd all be the same, the voltage is what's regulated, can't see the amperage being an issue.

Awaits The Reading of the Riot Act from a leckie!!!!!!

im sure they are the same between the bosch alternators, the valeo ones might be different. I just wanted to point out i had a 120 amp alternator in case they were different and somone used my part number.

What are the symptoms of a dodgy regulator?

I fitted a Bosch 120Amp alternator and Bosch Silver battery around 8,000 miles ago.

(battery has just run out of warranty) :bad-words:

For the last few days the car won't start in the cold mornings, just clicks like mad when I turn the key. But starts and runs fine off a jump-start.

Volt meter in the center console reads about 11 Volts when the engine isn't running and 14.5 Volts when running with lights, seats, blower etc turned off.

Was going to buy a new battery tomorrow but will await your opinions.

if u were in bham, i got a good guy that repairs starter and alters for cheap....brand new parts and warranty.

Colin No Worries :)

Mike - Your charging system seems fine. So does the voltage measured when the cars off, i would check to make sure the live connection to the starter is good and not corroded, It seems the solenoid in your starter is sticking as its struggling to get the juice and this could be because of excessive resistance caused by corroded terminals. On my car the dash light noticebly dim at idle but when the revs rise they go back to normal. I checked the voltage when running and it only reached the 13.8v level when the revs rise it does not make that at idle. Anyway that was a few months a go the problem seems to have got worse. a few days ago i was driving and the battery completely drained while driving so im pretty sure my regulator is gone.

I'll report back after ive changed it.

nmahi thanks for the offer, i managed to find someone local but its costing £30 for the regulator

Thanks for the info Zak.

Checked the Voltage Gauge readings properly this morning. Battery had been on-charge all night in the garage.

On initial turn of the key, 11.5 - 12 volts. (not exact as the VW gauge is analogue)

Car failed to start, same as before....

Jumped it using my starter pack, started on first turn of the key.

On the way to work it was reading a smidgen under 14 volts all the way.

Difficult to see under the bonnet when I get home at night. But I will have a look at the battery and starter contacts at the weekend.

Bought a new battery this morning. Starts on the button and seems to be running smoother too.

€120 for a feckin Bosch Silver S4. And I thought Britain was a ripoff!

Cheers! :clap:

glad you got it sorted. My luck is not so good....

I fitted my new voltage regulator but i think ive been sold a faulty one, at idle the voltage is 12v and only when i rev it does it reach 13.8v. So seems the regulators not doing its job properly