Sign in to follow this  
olly elworthy

running in procedure

just rebuilt engine on 5cyl audi coupe, (off topic i know) was wondering on the running in procedure, was thinking 1500 miles under 3000 rpm without making it work hard,, any other opinions folks?

Depends what sort of a rebuild your talking about but anything with new pistons/rings etc would need double that to run in properly with an an oil change after about the first 2 thosand miles...

yeah to run it in properly i would give it at least 4k to run it in and an oil change at 2k and keep an eye on the oil level as new/rebuilt engines burn oil to start with until every thing beds... and dont take it above 4000rpm

James

Just follow the same procedures if the car were new (back when it was made). The Audi dealer could probably tell you this.

Modern engines, i.e post 80s don't really need 'running-in', it's a misnomer. Just avoid thrashing the engine, certainly from cold, for the first few thousand. Gradually increase the max revs per 1000miles. Say up to 4000 for 1 K, then up to 4500 to 1.5K, 5000 to 2K, 5500 to 2.5K and so on...... then drain the oil and refill. Don't use synthetic on a new engine otherwise the rings will never bed into the honing.

Kev

Have a read of this..................... http://www.mototuneusa.com/the_need_for_speed.htm

Read it to the end.

Flame retardant suit on and extinguishers all around! :o

I am with Kev, just get in and drive it. Don't kill it from cold but drive it normally.

Years back performance bikes did a test of a dozen Fireblades. They ran the on the rollers and checked with the owners how they ran them in.

They had outputs between 116 and nearly 140. Std was 125 I think. The fella with 116 said he dribbled around for ages before opening it up. The 140 bloke said 'whats running in?'

Here's another thought. In formula one the engines are rebuilt all the time. They aren't going to do even hundreds of miles running them in after doing that. Of course the technology/materials are different but how different can they be?

Later

Gavin

LOL.. Ye, we ran our new cooper 'S' in for the first few hundred miles, then it had a good bashing of the lead foot pedal. We have done a few mods and it is running 190BHP now and it is exceptionally free reving. Other ones we have been in have been lathargic a they have been ran in gentely.

Agreed, the quickest cars are usually the ones that weren't treated with kid gloves when new. Could explain why there's such variance in MK2 16V performance! Some fly, some are dog slow.

K