Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Killed my car going through water.. help! ** FIXED **

I don't normally hug my car to be fair.. but I thought it deserved it this time around.

Glad you got it sorted!

Another little piece of info that I believe is true as I'm sure one of the 'gurus' on here said...the lambda sensor is ignored above 4000 rpm. This would explain when I had the exact same problem last year in a flood. The car wouldn't idle very well and definitely wouldn't drive. Though start the car on full throttle and it would run to the red line perfectly.

I hope that is true as it certainly was the case for me. Thought it might help diagnose lambda probes for a few people in the future! :D

Dave

Hm. I'm not entirely sure this issue is sorted. This morning after about 5 minutes of idling the car started to idle badly and was lumpy through the revs but I stopped and started the car a few times and it was ok and ran fine to work. And it did the same thing on the way home - trying to get up a hill.. it was idling ok but then when you tried to accelerate there was just no power.. pulled over and stopped and it was spluttering and then cut out, but restarting it and just letting it sit for a minute and giving it some light revving it sorted itself out and carried on.

What the heck is going on! I can only assume water is finding its way into the fuel or a connector somewhere - not helped by all this snow we had today!

Hey Guys,

I'm having similar symptoms with my 2 litre 16v, cause by a big puddle earlier this year, turned out to be the lamba - replaced and the problem went away! - BUT, now we have a little trouble again, coughs splutters and backfires when i accelerate hard, but runs nice and smooth if driven sensibly - of course it runs fine in the high rev range anyway, but now I'm a bit confused about the return of the symptoms - surely not the lambda again?!!?