Sign in to follow this  
The_Dude

Handbrake light changes brightness when off?!?

This one has got me really confused, this sort of thing is like magic to me and it seems like the hamster that powers the electrics my car is misbehaving.

The LED's in my clocks have been replaced with some superbright blue ones by the PO but recently I've noticed that the handbrake light light up (sic) when the handbrake is off. Its weird, it used to shine very very dimly when the brake was off so I paid it no mind, but the other night I saw it getting progressively brighter according to what I was doing. These photos were taken at night btw.

How it looks when the handbrake is on...I'm blind! :eek:

DSC00350.jpg

When I am at idle or have my foot on the brake with the handbrake off.

DSC00349.jpg

Over about 1.5k revs or sat at idle for a while.

DSC00348.jpg

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. :salute:

Ok I'll try that.

Yeah, its so bright on hillstarts I have to put my arm at the top of the wheel to block off the light otherwise I'm lit up like a xmas tree and can't see! :lol:

hi m8, this happened to me last summer on a 1.000km trip :lol:

however, the next day it stopped doing this....

have you checked your brake fluid level?

No, but I have just had 288s put about 2 weeks ago, so I wouldn't expect it to be low. But I will check tonight. Thanks.

Hi!!! This happened to me again last night!

The other time it happened, it was also raining (as yesterday)... may it have any rel with it??

And also my MFA was experiencing X-Files.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

No, I have had my clocks out since tho and because its summer time, I don't notice it, so maybe its there, maybe it isn't.:shrug:

Sorry bud!

the brake warning light isn't just for the handbrake... It also warns of low brake fluid level, and brake pad wear if your car was fitted with this option from the factory...

3 things to check:

1) have you got enough fluid in the reservoir?

2) as there any loose wires dangling under the front wheel arches which are likely to get wet (and therefore short out causing the light to come on like it would if you had worn brake pads)

3) is there any crud getting into the switch under the handbrake lever (which turns on the light to warn you the handbrake is on)

My bet would be cables under the wheel arches seeing as you've just fitted 288 brakes... ;)

Good luck!

hi. this is just to tell you that something similar has been happening with the turning indicator light of my dash. I have traced it to a faulty/dodgy (still to know) clocks connector. If I move the connector, turning indicator light comes on and indicator relay clicks (really fast, like RTTRRTTRTRTTR) as well.

I think it's worth a check, and see if it sorts your brake light problem. :o