Sign in to follow this  
Flexso

16v Engine Top Rebuild - What are my options

Hello all,

My 16v is burning oil now and I think it is time to look at having the valve guides sorted. I have been looking in the search and it looks like there maybe a couple of other options available to me.

I have heard people talk about using a 6A from an audi instead of a 9A.

I have to admit that I'm not in it for power gains. So I'm more interested in which option will work better for MPG and ride. Also I wouldnt mind a bit more torgue if its at all effected.

I'm open to all suggestion, not just the above. Also if there is anything that you think is vital to do or change at the same time please let me know.

That you everyone for you help.

Mike

you don't say 1.8 or 2.0L but that's not really an issue, all the 16v heads are much the same, possibly the MK3 golf ABF heads are a little better from the factory but minimal, they have slightly different valvegear and cams.

You could just have your head refurbed and perhaps a little porting and polishing while it's stripped, you won't get much more torque from even extensive headwork (gas-flowing) perhaps a few %, and expect about 10% more torque by going from a 1.8 block (KR) to a 2L block (9A, 6A, ACE or ABF).

It all depends on how much you are willing to spend and how long you plan to run/keep the car. It's going to be over 500 quid to rebuild and gasflow a 16v head, so you have to consider just buying a mk3 16v ABF complete engine as you could probably get a lowish mileage one for less than that, certainly one with a good 50K miles left on it.

Hi David,

Thanks for the advise. Yes it is the KR (should of said before) I see you have done alot of work on yours. I was thinking a port and polish would be a good option. Have you notice a huge difference with the changes you have made?

I may just go the route of having the current head rebuilt as I'm not particularly interested in performance gains. I just want the engine to run smootly with no oil burning.

Mike

It does make quite a difference, even with standard KR cams, back to back plots with a standard 2L and you can see the power plot pull away the higher the revs get, if done well it makes an improvement throughout the rev range with the most at peak power, probably around 10-15% gain in power and torque at the top end.

It also makes the car run more efficiently if the fuelling is set up properly so you get slightly better MPG.

This thread is going to prove helpful for me as im about to rebuild the head as im burning way to much oil. Was thinking about porting and polishing the head, i have a 50mm inlet manifold to go on aswell.

I heard the 50mm inlet gives you a little more poke at the top of the rev range. I am gonna look at the open 2L would be a good way to go.

again, Club GTI have a fair bit of info on this if you dig around, the basic gist is a 50mm will give slightly better power on an engine with a flowed head and high lift cams at the very top end, but on a standard motor, even with the KR inlet cam a 42mm will provide better torque pretty much throughout the rev range.

I'd recommend a ported and polished lower half of a 42mm inlet with a flowed head, perfectly adequate for this:

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdf127-2746_1024img.jpg[/attachment:2q9kzt6v]

before and after fuelling and ignition rolling road setup

127-2747_1024img.jpg[/attachment:2q9kzt6v]