Sign in to follow this  
CorradoVR6-Turbo

Anyone run a Bosch 044 fuel pump? updated

I would like to keep mine external but i will decide on what i will be doing this weekend when i have some more time to fiddle about.

I wanted to know what inlet sizes most run? do they use a lift pump to the 044 ? have they mounted they pump intank and if so any pics? do you have fuel problems when running low?

Yeah,you'll definatly run into problems if you do as me and modify the original (single) pump cradle.

I avoid running on a low tank and also have a mechanical fuel press. gauge fitted above the heated rear window switch,if i'm running low on fuel the fuel gauge drops to zero,especially on a hill and the engine starts to cough and stutter,my corrado was originally a G60 with a single in-tank pump so i could'nt be bothered to fit it externally.

Just remember to fill up and drive with at least 1/4 of a tank of fuel.

Mine's a single intank G60 and I was planning on using that standard in-tank pump as the lift pump and use a inline 044 where the fuel filter is fitted, would that be ok?

thanks VEEDUBBED! i figured modding the original houing might cause problems but i have to modd mine to fit the walbro 255 pump in there and i will still use the 044 externaly and see wht happens...this weekend i will have a go.

joney-5 i tried that combo,the 044 will overpower the stock intank pump,it draws so much it causes a vacum build up between the two and then the 044 will sqeal like a pig!

CorradoVR6-Turbo, how did you solve the problem then? I don't like the idea of having to keep it above a 1/4 tank.

Right...ive sorted the pump noise,its still external as i had it before! thumbs up i can still use the set-up i made! :D

The main problem was with stock intank pump,it [strike:7lufokb0]was[/strike:7lufokb0] is to weak! So i dug out my old walbro 255 pump,bought a walbro pre filter sock,droped this into the tank and plumbed it back into the 044 still using -6 fittings and fuel lines in and out the 044.

Now the 044 is smooth and quiet! just a light hum from under the car...nice!

Still sorting the intank set up,but im sure the walbro prefilter sock will help allot here,as it allows fuel to be drawn in from all angles of the sock...and its around 4" long,infact you can dip the tip of the sock into the fuel and have the pump well out of the fuel and it still draws fuel!!!

Even when you remove the pump from the fuel it takes up to 8sec before the 044 starts to moan!

My fuel pressure is still set to 3,5bar and is rock steady now!

Will update as i go along. :wave:

What do you think I should do with my set-up (with the single intank G60)? I'm not going for big power but I want to be on the safe side. Sorry for a bit of a thread hijack lol

The main problem was with stock intank pump,it [strike:k6ns8sl8]was[/strike:k6ns8sl8] is to weak! So i dug out my old walbro 255 pump,bought a walbro pre filter sock,droped this into the tank and plumbed it back into the 044 still using -6 fittings and fuel lines in and out the 044.

Im glad you are getting somewhere with this mate, I will be watching progress.

With mine I have gone for the standard intank pump supplying a 1.5l swirl pot and an external walbro 255 feeding the engine from that via an FSE inline filter.

CorradoVR6-Turbo Just going for around the 260 mark - like I say not big. Any ideas? Would the in-tank Walbro 044 have the same issue with low fuel levels?