Sign in to follow this  
Bournemouth James

big bang, then dies

not too sure how many of you are familyer with the 20vt engine, but i have a problem with mine

somtimes at low revs, it misfires, then a big bang comes from the exhaust, then everything goes dead for a spilt second, the exauast sometimes pops normally, but nothing as loud as this, also somtimes when im accelerating it also missfires.

other times it just runs nomally

any ideas?

I think its common to get the coil packs failing on the 20vt. Dont know if you will have them though depending on what management system was used in the conversion.

The coil packs usually go in the cold snaps .. er .. like now then!

Yeah, if it's an engine made in around 2000 -> 2001 there's a strong possibility you will need to replace all the coil packs before the year is out.

if it is the coil packs then depending on which engine youve got vw should replace them foc due to the fact of a reliablity problem,they vw say that because it isnt a safty issue then there was/is no need for a recall.stealers are replacing them as and when they go.

we removed our coil packs and put coil & plug leads in

vw have reduced the price alot on the replacement coil packs as so many were fauuty :?

i think the engine was made before 2000, because it is a AGU block, i did find a reciept for a coil pack in the history folder, so one of them has been replaced at some point and it wasnt that expensive

How do i go about finding which one is faulty?

Remove them, AFAIK the broken one is very obvious when you look at it.

Or plug it into the diags at your local stealer, or VAGCOM or whatever and it'll tell ya!

The HT side of the ignition is not monitored by VAG-COM :( All the ECU concerns itself with is sending a LT signal to the coilpacks. And then it will probably moan about the resultant excess fuel hitting the lambda probe!

Shame VR6 coilpacks aren't subject to a free replacement as they are equally dire!

K