Sign in to follow this  
chrishill

engine referb?

ok, after planning lowering and 17's, then talking with my insurance company, i've had to change my plans.

I think 'money well spent' would be getting the engine overhauled, basically a good cleaning out inside and all the niggly little bits (5th injector/ISV problems?) sorted out.

Thing is i have no idea how much something like that would cost, if it'd do much good, and what sort of things i should be asking to be done!

any advice??

oh and i cant do ANYTHING that would up the power :( so no pullys, cams, porting, gas flowing or anything else even a bit fun.

its a 1990 1.8 16v.

apparently any modifications i do carry a surcharge of 40% of the premium, as as mines £1250 TPFT already, they wanted £400 for alloys and lowering! i paid a lump sum for the cover so i'll have to wait for next year now :( still they cant argue with a bit of cleaning to the engine!

How are they gonna find out? Unless you have a very expensive claim I can't see them taking your engine apart to see whether the cams are different or surfaces are abit smoother than they should be. An induction kit might be abit obvious though.

24, 1 years no claims and wrote my last car off 6 months ago (protected no claims on last policy) only been driving for 3 years....it was a bit extra because i got them to add an exhaust to the policy when i took it out as i knew it'd need replacing

Ouch, that still seems like a lot for tpft..

But as you say, you've paid now, so make some savings this year and wait till renewal time! :)

That's well high! I'm with performance direct and it's £1050 with my mods TPFT. I'm 23 with 4 years NCB

Yup. I'm interested to know how you had a protected NCD on a tpft policy with only 1yr no claims, by the way..

bit of a complex one :D

My first car was a nissan micra (the shame! :oops:) and i got one years free insurance, which left me with 1yr NCD. I sold that after a year and bought an astra SXI again with a years free insurance. I crashed the astra after owning it for around 11 months :( but becuase i was on a free policy, the claim i made didnt effect my previous NCD. So it wasnt protected in the normal sense of the term, it was just easier to explain it that way!

your insurance seems to steep, I've just renewed myn, I'm 26, 4years NCB protected, all mods declared so far, mrs as named driver, fully comp I pay just over £500 :D no security reqd either 8) although I do have some....

Forgot to mention I've got 6 points..

3points for speeding

3 points for jumping traffic lights, which are coming of end of the year :wink:

Granted I have 4yrs NCB, but when I first got it I was just 20 and only had 2yrs NCB and still then it was only £1250 (only :lol: ). Just thought your's was a bit steep. If you need the number for my company just to see what they would qoute you, I'll post it on.

Although I'm a little older than you (34), my insurance is £847.50 fully comp.

9 points (6 for driving without due care & attention ! ), 2 yrs no-claims & my policy even covers me for any mods upto 250bhp !! (including wheels, supension, etc)

Bally, you got a good deal mate. Whos your policy with?

Company called Carter & Gilbrook, there a broker based down the road in Rainham Essex, was with them last year, just stayed with them as they've been good so far :wink:

Chrishill, as long as your not altering the original engine spec, I wouldn't worry about the insurance, and I'd get the head polished while your doing it, unless the company strip the engine they won't know, and even with just a polished head they'd be hard pushed to tell.

P.S. Stevemac, who you insured with??, that 250bhp policy sounds good

I can't believe anyone actually pays extra on therie insurance because of an air filter or an exhaust. what a load of sh1t. I wouldn't dream of giving companies like that my cash.

stevemac - seems a bit of a bargain that insurance,have to join the club before I renew in Feb04........paying about £750 fully comp with full ncd un-protected .........

Ive got a Croydon postcode though..........must bump it up a bit I suspect?

harry1000 - the closest any other insurance company could get was £300 more expensive !! I even had 1 quote for £1700. :lol: