Sign in to follow this  
Chris

sensible weight for a lightened vr6 flywheel?

im considering getting my vr flywheel lightened or buying one which has been lightened already. what is a sensible weight for a lightened vr6 flywheel? im after a nice bit of performance but i dont want the car to feel undriveable as it will be a daily soon.

can anyone advise me...

Great question - looking forward to seeing some responses!

I've read that too light and the car starts feeling very jerky, espeically when coming off the loud pedal?

hi i remember talking to Jerome dik @.......JD Engineering (if you know there work, you know these are top guys) anyway he told me the best weight would be 5.5kg for a G60 flywheel and about 6ish kg for a VR6......

:nono: this is only wat ive been told.......never tried it

I think its a great Mod, im using a 6lb fidanza alloy flywheel

I've had no down sides, stalling, jerking, etc

Makes the motor rev up so much quicker, better acceleration and even

better if your got forced induction :lol:

hi i remember talking to Jerome dik @.......JD Engineering (if you know there work, you know these are top guys) anyway he told me the best weight would be 5.5kg for a G60 flywheel and about 6ish kg for a VR6......

:nono: this is only wat ive been told.......never tried it

ill keep that in mind :)

I think its a great Mod, im using a 6lb fidanza alloy flywheel

I've had no down sides, stalling, jerking, etc

Makes the motor rev up so much quicker, better acceleration and even

better if your got forced induction :lol:

i forgot to mention ill be going turbo near the years end...so a lightened flywheel that i can have fun with now, which will also compliment the FI when i get around to it.

ill be taking your advice on this one shaun, where did you go for your flywheel?

what would be the reason to go for that one shaun, seeing as its 50% heavier than the fidanza?

cheers

john

as good as the schimmel flywheel is, is there any you'd maybe suggest on this side of the pond, the shipping vat on that item would be fairly high making it rather expensive in total. wouldnt be a problem if the ex. rates were like they were last summer but unfortunately we not that lucky anymore :(

is it worth/would it cost alot to have my current flywheel lightened and balanced?

what would be the reason to go for that one shaun, seeing as its 50% heavier than the fidanza?

cheers

john

Fidanza 6lb , sp 9lb , standard 18lb. sp one does look like its built for big power, and steel.

a machine shop will machine a flywheel for you. mine cost 30quid.

i would be surprised if you noticed any difference on a standard engine

a machine shop will machine a flywheel for you. mine cost 30quid.

i would be surprised if you noticed any difference on a standard engine

really! i thought it would make a noticeable difference on a standard vr6, seems to make a big difference in alot of other standard cars.

ill give my local machine shop a shout and see what price they give me.

Since the flywheel is a very heavy mass item that the engine has to rotate, surely shaving over half the weight off would do something? The reason for the weight is to make the power come on and off smoothly, I've been told... anyone care to get any more technical? Theoretically, as mentioned, a lighter flywheel would allow the engine to rev more quickly and more freely?

I'm no engineer......... :norty:

Since the flywheel is a very heavy mass item that the engine has to rotate, surely shaving over half the weight off would do something? The reason for the weight is to make the power come on and off smoothly, I've been told... anyone care to get any more technical? Theoretically, as mentioned, a lighter flywheel would allow the engine to rev more quickly and more freely?

I'm no engineer......... :norty:

in a nutshell.

need to find the fine line between comfortable performance and...how do i put it....crap feeling performance

9lb seems to be the lowest i should go at the moment

anyone else care to add

The idea of having a heavy rotating mass is to give the engine some stored energy, this basically helps smooth out the engine and gives it some weight behind it giving the impression that the engine has more torque. It's also there to help with engine braking. So in effect a car with a flywheel will take longer to rev up but will also take longer to rev down- weather you are going up a hill or dropping the clutch.

Going a bit lighter is fine, especially on a six cylinder car which is smoother and has more inertia than a four anyway. If you go too light you risk making the engine feel more lumpy, making it difficult to pull away and making the car harder to drive at a steady speed.

It's a good mod, but I went too light on my G60 Mk1 and it was a pig to drive smoothly/pull away at lights so i should be wary.

Yep, which is why the Fidanza is too light for a daily used road car imo.

I went with the Schimmel flywheel. Haven't fitted it yet but he also said too light works against you.

Yep, which is why the Fidanza is too light for a daily used road car imo.

I went with the Schimmel flywheel. Haven't fitted it yet but he also said too light works against you.

I run a Fidanza in my daily, and its not too light for daily use at all - having said that, mine is NA, the same probably wouldnt apply with FI, especially in conjunction with anything other than a standard clutch

I run a Fidanza in my daily, and its not too light for daily use at all - having said that, mine is NA, the same probably wouldnt apply with FI, especially in conjunction with anything other than a standard clutch

Note the words "imo" in my post....