Sign in to follow this  
leew

C will not start

PLEASE SOMEBODY HELP :cry:

Sunday night my C failed to start. I turn the key and the result was nothing. My first thought was the battery was flat. I tried jump starting it but the effect was the same, not a sound. (I must add at this point that it was dark and the jump leads may not have been attached correctly).

My next thought was to bump start the car so i could at least get home, this worked first time and i got home ok. After parking on my drive i thought i would give the ignition another try. This time there was a click from the starter motor but the car did not start. Right, i thought its the starter motor.

I bought a second hand starter motor and fitted it last night. Turned the key and the car started. Excellent i thought i've fixed it! This morning the car started ok (might of turned over a bit slower but this could be my imagination).

This afternoon i get into my car turn the key and get a click from the starter motor and nothing else :(

Has anybody got ideas please :puppydogeyes: i'm stranded at work!!

Could be the ignition switch, when you turn the key try turning it with some force just that bit further and shake it about a bit. I had this problem and VW sorted it for £13 parts and 1 hours labour.

i had a problem like this on another car which it turned out to be the starter solenoid i would have thought this would have been replaced aswell its usually joined to the starter, for a quick fix hit the starter quite hard then try again should be enough to get you home

It does sound like the ignition switch. This happened to me about a year ago. They are an absolute b!tch to fit yourself, if you don't want the steering column drilling, but it is possible.

Well I had same problem on my Corrado a year or so ago and it turned out to be a couple of duff cells in the battery... have you another battery can try ?

Joe M, Did the starter motor click when you turned the key?

funky, The second hand starter came with the solenoid so it would be really bad luck if that was faulty as well.

Scott, No i haven't unfortunatly. Anyone local to Shirley in Brum???

i had the same problem with mine,so i was advised to change the ignition switch,changed it and its been fine since,i did it myself and it was a bitch to replace

i found this on my travels aswell...

ignition switch

As you may or may not know the corrado ignition switch sometimes fails,as this has just happend to me,a new switch will cost you £12.34 from vag part number 6n0905865,to change the switch you first have to remove the plastic trim from around the steering column,the bottom half is removed my taking out the 2 phillips head screws,the top half,you will need to remove the steering column height adjustment lever by removing the 10mm bolt but remember to put the steering wheel to its lowest posistion,then remove the horn plate on the steering wheel then undo the big centre nut on the column which is 24mm, then just ease the steering wheel off,then reove the indicaror/wiper stalks,you will see 3 funny looking screws which hold them in place,i just used a small phillips screw driver,unclip the wires and remove them from the column then you will see the ignition barrel,to remove the switch you have to remove a very small gold screw which faces away from you,so unless youve got very small hands it is pretty impossible to remove,so all i did was put a screw driver where the screw is and gently tapped it with a hammer untill the switch around the screw broke then i unclipped the switch from the barrell,to put the new one in,i just cut the little tab where the screw goes on the new switch and put it back into the barrell,i think vw put the screw in for safe measure but the clips hold in quite safely,then replace everything,then hopefully no more ignition worries

Joe M, Did the starter motor click when you turned the key?

Yeh, it would do all sorts of things. Sometimes nothing, sometimes a click, sometimes it would even have the starter going on and off rapidly.

I managed to wire up a push start that worked for about a year but then it got so bad that id be driving along and it would switch my stereo on and off as well so I had it replaced.

Time for an update!!!

Changed the starter motor and the bloody thing still wouldn't start, just got a click. Took the starter motor out and tested it on the bench. Worked fine. put the starter motor back on and it worked :D for about six starts and then clicked again :( . Tried to turn the engine by bypassing the starter motor, this still didn't work but removed the ignition from the equation. I then disconnected all the wires that connect to the starter and the main earth to the body and cleaned all the connections, put a little copper grease on them and reconnected them.

The car started first time :D and has started ever since (touch wood).

FYI

C failed to start again Saturday but managed to get started by bypassing the ignition. So that proved it was the ignition switch.

Replaced that and everything seems fine.

Should of listened to you in the first place :oops:

hey lee, just saw this thread now.

i had the saw problem and it turned out to be a bad ground/fuse.. so it didn't surprise me when you said you fixed a ground and it worked better.

try checking your battery ground connection and make sure it is 100%.

i'm sure you have everything thought of and taken care of.. but so did i. :p problem kept coming up and it turned out to be a bad ground.. which i had already checked over quickly weeks before..as well as a blown fuse that looked fine and would usually work... i guess it just rattled out of place now and then. fuse #16 i believe, or there abouts (gauge power..nothin worked but cable-driven speedo) the fuse cuts the signal to the voltage light on the dash and (for some stupid reason) the batt won't charge properly when this light doesn't get power. anyway.. electrical gremlins are always a good bet to double and triple check.

good luck with that. :)

Cheers Lenny, have checked/removed the the ground lead. Touch wood all is OK now.

BTW. I haven't forgot about the chip and pulley, i'm just snowed under at work right now :shock: will get in touch soon.

ACK!! :shock: :mad: :x

lanny. lAnny. LANNY. (not lenny) ..that really burns me! :x :x :x

..but hey, i should get mad at my parents, not you eh!! :D

glad to hear you've got it sorted out. i couldn't believe it when after fixing the ground, that little fuse (that looked fine!) was the culprit. leave it to those crazy germans!

no probs about the pull/chip.. car's sittin in the shed for another month or two.. we just got a bit of snow again now too.. :?