Sign in to follow this  
bananawhip

VR6 oil cooler bypass?

Can somebody tell me how important the flow of water is when deleting the factory oil cooler and fitting a Mocal?

Reason I ask is that I've removed the factory cooler and joined the two pipes up but they seem fairly kinked and I'm not sure if water will actually flow through them, do they just run off the crack pipe then back onto it again or is it vital that I don't disrupt the flow?

I've already killed one engine so I've grown rather fond of my currant one :)

deleting the oem cooler for mocal is far better,you can either blank off the crack pipe and block water pipe,or join them together,either way it wont make much difference.

Well as it stands I've fitted my cooler, hoses, and sandwhich plate, binned the factory cooler and connected up the hoses, I'm all ready to turn the key really but I doubt much water will flow through my bypass. Only because I didn't want to cut the pipes so it's easier to return to OEM. They're pretty kinked but if no water actually needs to pass through then I suppose it makes no odds.

Just to double check then I'm good to go? Or is it better to fabricated a better bypass hose? Sorry to ask again just overly cautious now :camp:

All looks very neat, main reason I was trying to avoid doing something like that is because I have very little space. Believe it or not I've managed to get as far as I have with the manifold, bumper, slam panal etc in place.

I've found a cheeky angle that gives you just enough room to work with by laying on top of the engine, I might take a photo of me doing it then copyright it, sell it to Mocal or something :)

As James mentioned, just join the two pipes with a long length of hose, the reason being if its too short it will kink and defintely reduce flow. Its a simple circuit so dont worry as long as you ahve used the spring clips instead of jubilees to connect it.

where would be the best place to get a small length of hose like yours james?

:norty: steady on big boy...who said it was small :lol:

Just go to your local motor factor mate,the hose i used was an off cut from my oil cooler hoses.

As James mentioned, just join the two pipes with a long length of hose, the reason being if its too short it will kink and defintely reduce flow. Its a simple circuit so dont worry as long as you ahve used the spring clips instead of jubilees to connect it.

If I'm honest and without sounding like a bodger does it actually matter?

Only because Gruvenparts give you the option to blank it off on the crackpipe which I've pretty much done with my poo pipework, I know it's much nicer to have it as it should be but will it make a blind bit of notice of no water gets through?

If I had easy access I wouldn't be so desperate to not have to do it again.

Also out of interest what's wrong with Jubilee clips? I always dump spring clips for them if I'm doing a job as I thought they were more secure...Have I been living a lie? :brickwall:

If I'm honest and without sounding like a bodger does it actually matter?

Only because Gruvenparts give you the option to blank it off on the crackpipe which I've pretty much done with my poo pipework, I know it's much nicer to have it as it should be but will it make a blind bit of notice of no water gets through?

If I had easy access I wouldn't be so desperate to not have to do it again.

Also out of interest what's wrong with Jubilee clips? I always dump spring clips for them if I'm doing a job as I thought they were more secure...Have I been living a lie? :brickwall:

as far as i know there's no really big downside. i think the reason some people on here don't like jubilees is the fact that you can overtighten them and they are easier to bugger up than spring clips.

i'm definitely with you in the jubilee camp though - loathe the pain in the arseness of spring clips...

Spring clips are damn hard to use but te advanatage is even pressure around the circumference. Jubilees tend to focuus a point which can lead to leakage.

Btw, for the Gruvenparts crackpipe, if you ant to drain the coolant you might need to make something to open teh drain handle as it sticks solid after a while. I replaced one and the second has stuck solid again. the plastic crack pipe is far better in this respect.

where would be the best place to get a small length of hose like yours james?

:norty: steady on big boy...who said it was small :lol:

Just go to your local motor factor mate,the hose i used was an off cut from my oil cooler hoses.[/quote:2gvvjnls]

:lol: