Sign in to follow this  
steveo29

anyone know about vw gear oils

the vw dealer is telling me has some g052512a2 syn gear oil...doesnt know if its gl4 or gl5

its for my 020 box in a mk2 golf...any ideas what i need

G052 726 A2 was the standard gear oil (2007 ish)

G052 171 A2 was the synthetic last time I ordered some

I think the A2 stands for 1 Litre

these two superceeded the old G50 and G51 codes

There have been some revisions (new part numbers) for oils to fix noise problems in some of the late 6 speed boxes but I don't have the part numbers for those

I've used both of the numbers listed at the top in an 02A box and the 726 was fine, but the 171 fully syth was a definite improvement with a cold gearbox.

Oh, and the GL4/5 thing seems to mean nothing to VW.

sure i've got a spare bottle of the 02A fluid - I bought for my g60 but never used it. can have if you want

pm'd this to you, then thought it may as well go in the thread:

no, what I meant was the GL4/5 spec isn't on any of the VW fluids, they use their own system G50/51/52 etc...

The 'other' oil I have heard of from VW was specced for TT's and other 6 speed boxes to quieten down spider gears or something, I think they just tweaked the synthetic spec a bit to suit a certain range of boxes where customers had complained of noises.

In an 020 box the mineral oil most vag parts depts stock should be fine, the '726' part no. (it superceeds the G50 spec which was for 020 boxes I think anyway), but I tried that first as it was only 4 quid a litre when I needed some and later when the fully synthetic one came in I changed my 02A box to that, it worked out at about 24 quid with trade discount but definately improved the shift when cold, it also improved the sticking in reverse I occasionally got.

I thought you had redline mt90 in your G60 02A box, I'd have thought this or the VW synthetic I have would be fine in the 020. I know my dad put the VW fully synthetic in his old-old shape '87 passat and that improved cold shifting too.

From what I understand 02A box's require a GL4 based oil and 020 a GL5

GL4 is a syncromesh oil and GL5 is for final drives, diffs, transaxles...

The VW stuff is pretty good but i've always used Redline and found it to be worth the extra £

On my 6 speed 02M box I was advised not to use Redline and a change of the VW stuff didn't make a difference to it being notchy when cold, as above I couldn't find if it was GL4 or 5 so I used some Silkolene SynTran Syn 5 which is GL4 and 5 spec and it's made a huge improvement to the box - was the same price as the VW stuff as well after discount from Opie oils.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-850-silkole ... r-oil.aspx