Sign in to follow this  
julesz

Oil light/bleep

Came off the mototrway this morning (after only about a 30 min drive) and about 30 secs later the oil light starts flashing and bleeping at me. Ive checked the oil and its fine. AFter restarting the engine all is fine - any ideas, this is the second time this has happened... :?

what chartacteristics does it have.

When does the buzzer come on? RPM?

Does it stay on?

What mechanical pressure are you getting?

Yeah oil pressure

change the oil and replace the filter with a OEM one. (a must for a G60)

if you Have changed it recently you may have a pressure problem. Where you going round a fast corner at the time? you cant really check the oil on a hot engine unless you let it stand for a few 10mins.

what oil are you running? 10W40 fully synth?

Both times it has been after a short motorway journey and then about 30 seconds after in a 30mph limit at lowish revs. Comes on with intermitant buzzer/light and stays on until i turn off the engine. How do i check the mechanical pressure??

2100 oil must be at 2 bar or buzzer n light will be there. if you foot down at this point( i know it sounds bad) and the buzzer goes offas you rise up the range then its probly the 2 bar sensor. 2100rpm is the telling point. I ve had both sensor and oil pump fail on me. they both do similar things. the oil pump problem kepth the light on though aftger the first couple of times.

Get a capillary gaugen c what pressure you get. i used a £17 TIM guage cos it was cheap. replace the swithc too(2 bar is in top of oil filter housing.)

i presume we ALL use VAG filter and proper oil anyway

you should get about 35psi at 2100rpm when warm. When its cold lots bout 60-80 psi give an idea of what the oil seals have to handle when cold

i get this sometimes but only when the car is cold and if i rev over 3k rpm after it warms up sound goes off.

i get this sometimes but only when the car is cold and if i rev over 3k rpm after it warms up sound goes off.

Replace your oil switches chaps.... *:)

Mine used to do it alot - replaced the switch and all sorted.... its on the oil filter housing as mentioned and does get covered in all sorts which doesnt help - also checking wiring as mine was dodgy looking.........

Scott

I ve had this problem and it was down to a dodgy oil pump does the light and buzzer come on if you go round a corner quite fast!! the oil pump will cost about £50 I think from euro car parts with the gasketsv which aint too bad. an oil pressure gauge could be quite handy to diagnose the problem a bit better

its normal for the light to come on and the buzzer to start if you rev your engine over 3k rpm when its cold,the oil is cold therefore cant flow freely to buil enough pressure its even on the manual if u read it but it should go off in about a minute or 2 untill the oil heats up.

its normal for the light to come on and the buzzer to start if you rev your engine over 3k rpm when its cold,the oil is cold therefore cant flow freely to buil enough pressure its even on the manual if u read it but it should go off in about a minute or 2 untill the oil heats up.

No its not mate!!!

the Buzzer only comes on if the pressure drops below idle pressure otherwise the buzzer would be on all the time at low engine speed. cold engine temps means higher oil presure as the oil is still thick.

I would say he's got a pressure sensor problem on the sener on the filter house, or the charger oil line (the lower pressure warning of the two)or you have some oil seal problems in the engine, or the oil pump is on the way out.

Apparently the G60 oil pump can be replaced with one from a golf TDI i think as its same housing or something and gives better oil pressure. Anyone know which one??

cyharger line is 0.4 bar. it aint that one usually its the 2 bar one. the charger line one makes the light go out at tickover.

LowG-I would least expect the light when cold as the oil is at its thickest and pressure its highest.

I had mine fitted by the dealer bout 110. not the cheapest but if it failed then they

could sort the engine :)

right ok it might be wrong but i have actually read the manual about this and also talked to my mechanic,if you let the car warm up it wont come if you rev the car from cold above 3k the light will come on as simple as that,now you can say whatever you want but i have read this from the mnual,it says the light should go of if it dosent contact mechanic. I may be wrong about the cold oil and low pressure but i cant figure it out :shock:

not saying you are wrong.

I see 80psi on my gauge at tickover whe cold so i aint trying it cos 3k will be close to 100psi-not good for seals. perhaps from dead cold the oil is too thick to give a proper feed to the 0.4bar swithc or it hasn't got there properly yet. :?

put you in the picture on the amount of pressure

when i fitted y oil gauge i broke the sender in the filter housing( two words-cock n head come to mind) anyway fitted a replacement andput filter on and finished job. i didn't put the trhreaded tube in properly and that meant that the filter didnt screw on properly. it was winding the tube out instead of the filter on. at the traffic lights down the road. i set off and at 2500rpm the filter and tube shot out of the front of the car along with 4 litres of oil. the filter was on but 2 full turns and stripped the thread straight off the bar that was about 70psi(3-5 mins runtime). :o :cry:

imagine what seals go htru everytime we drive when not up to temperature. cant be good for them.

Happened to me tonite, floored it coming out of a corner, got in to 3rd at about 55 and the light came on and the beeping started. Pulled in and wasn't going to check the oil as it would be hot. Turned off the engine and after about 25 secs turned it on again, it was fine. The temp sensor on dash and the oil temp sensor on the MFA isn't working, maybe its related. Its not overheating, so it could be the oil switches.

Happened to me tonite, floored it coming out of a corner, got in to 3rd at about 55 and the light came on and the beeping started. quote]

Your oil level is low!!!

thats why it came on out of a corner!!

146driver sounds like your oil pump is either knackered or the oil pick up pipe has got clogged up as I have had this 2 times happen to me once in my golf gti it only did it on hard right handers for some reaon and once in the corrado both times I ve replaced the oil pump and it has cured the problem straight away!!! Worth thinking about anyway!!!

My light and buzzer went off last week while going round a roundabout. When I checked it for oil level I couldn't see a spot on the dipstick. So I topped up.

Thing is, I've just had it serviced at the VW garage 1800 miles ago. There is no oil leak visable underneath so I'm stumped!

Thanks Banana Man,

Temp sensor on dash is broke, bought engine sesnor and it still didn't work. I think now its the needle on the dash. The oil temp reading on the MFA is non-existent. Looks like dash has to come out now, doh!. New Shrick Cam, Chip and pulley going in on saturday so I'll have a better idea then. At the moment its running fine.

It is broke so I'll have to fix it! :(

G60jet,

It was a right hand corner. Checked the oil level this morning and it was fine. BTW do you live near Rio Real?

Yeah i live near rio real, pass it twice a day, everyday, doing about 120 through the "chicane"

if it was a right hander you may have a problem or the oil just sloshed around in the sump after the bend.

My light and buzzer went off last week while going round a roundabout. When I checked it for oil level I couldn't see a spot on the dipstick. So I topped up.

Thing is, I've just had it serviced at the VW garage 1800 miles ago. There is no oil leak visable underneath so I'm stumped!

Hi Dan,

VR6's use oil naturally.... its not un usual to use alot of oil... anything up to 1000kms / per litre is fine Im informed by VW....

So check it weekly!

Scott