Sign in to follow this  
Mawrick

Could I sandblast the VR6 intake manifoil?

Anyone know if I can sandblast the aluminium VR6 intake manifoil?, or if there is any other viable options to clean this one up:

(Getting the "corrosion" off)? (Like to keep it stock as it is, for now atleast).

2534318423_0163a7374e.jpg

Recently had spare upper and lower VR6 inlet manifolds soda blasted with excellent results. Soda blasting is commonplace in the alloy wheel refurb world and is less aggressive than sand blasting which could damage the alloy casting. Will post a few photos later this evening.

P3060028.jpg

As you can see, they are now very clean and they were in a right state to start with. It is my intention to etch prime them and then spray them with a high temp silver finish. I reckon that if I don't coat them then they will slowly degrade over time and finish up the way they were. If you are just trying to tidy up your original without removal, then you'll be pleasently surprised how well it will look after half an hours attention with red scotch brite.

Blasting with fine (180-220) Grade Aluminium Oxide Media would probably be a good alternative on aluminium - Just make sure you get all the residue out after.

Ian :D

Don't paint it after blasting, give it a rub with WD40, it stops it corroding but retains the alloy finishDSCN1198.JPG[/attachment:czpgs3eo]

Yes I had it sand blasted with a really fine sand and then think he used coconut shell :shrug: before WD40 treatment as recommended. A year on and it still looks brill001.JPG[/attachment:1si6zexl]

Yes I had it sand blasted with a really fine sand and then think he used coconut shell :shrug: before WD40 treatment as recommended. A year on and it still looks brill001.JPG[/attachment:gez9s2sk]

That does look really good 8)