Sign in to follow this  
Leonard

Which coilovers do you use on your really bumpy local roads?

You will never get a Corrado to ride over pot holes and badly broken tarmac like a Mercedes, standard suspension & wheels or otherwise, so get that unachievable fantasy out of your heads right now :lol:

If that's really your primary concern, then buy another car quite frankly!

What you can do is make the car a better compromise on a wider variety of surfaces and handling scenarios with, choice aftermarket parts.

It's not just about coilovers. A combination of the following affects ride quality, as I've said 4 billion times already:-

1) Chassis condition (f'cked bushes and top mounts?)

2) Suspension type and quality

3) Geometry

4) Wheel weight

5) Suspension travel

6) Tyre quality and pressure

I've already mentioned god knows how many times that my car on KW V3s with decent, lightweight 17" wheels and decent tyres handles and rides better than my car did on 15" wheels with H&Rs and Konis. People are too quick to blurt out on here that 17s and coilovers are schitt for ride quality when it's simply not true. I was myself a firm advocate of 15s, but that was over 3 years ago and things have improved a hell of a lot since then :D

I don't think you can even buy a performance car with 15" wheels any more (?) and good 205/50s are becoming very scarce (and expensive).

And something else I've said 387 times, don't take people's word for it. Try before you buy because ride quality is completely subjective.

Forums have spawned some kind of relucatance in people to buy anything unless they have 8 pages of responses / opinions.... what's with that? What did people do before the internet came along?

You will never get a Corrado to ride over pot holes and badly broken tarmac like a Mercedes, standard suspension & wheels or otherwise, so get that unachievable fantasy out of your heads right now :lol:

If that's really your primary concern, then buy another car quite frankly!

What you can do is make the car a better compromise on a wider variety of surfaces and handling scenarios with, choice aftermarket parts.

It's not just about coilovers. A combination of the following affects ride quality, as I've said 4 billion times already:-

1) Chassis condition (f'cked bushes and top mounts?)

2) Suspension type and quality

3) Geometry

4) Wheel weight

5) Suspension travel

6) Tyre quality and pressure

I've already mentioned god knows how many times that my car on KW V3s with decent, lightweight 17" wheels and decent tyres handles and rides better than my car did on 15" wheels with H&Rs and Konis. People are too quick to blurt out on here that 17s and coilovers are schitt for ride quality when it's simply not true. I was myself a firm advocate of 15s, but that was over 3 years ago and things have improved a hell of a lot since then :D

I don't think you can even buy a performance car with 15" wheels any more (?) and good 205/50s are becoming very scarce (and expensive).

And something else I've said 387 times, don't take people's word for it. Try before you buy because ride quality is completely subjective.

Forums have spawned some kind of relucatance in people to buy anything unless they have 8 pages of responses / opinions.... what's with that? What did people do before the internet came along?

Informative as ever :grin: I know compromises do HAVE to be made. But where I live the roads are really REALLY bad sometimes. You cannot really compare them to other parts of the UK bar Scotland and parts of Wales :lol:

I took on board what you said ages ago about the KW V'3's being great with your lightweight 17's. However how bad are your local roads? Essex seemed like a F1 race track last time i was down there LOL

Think you need to come for a holiday to the Peak District :grin:

Before the internet you used to buy something use it find it was sh!t then sell it and then repeated that process until you ended up with the right tool for the job! I don't really want to do that with £1k suspension and £1k wheels :lol:

Totally right, your tyre choice make a massive difference, Get a tyre with a softer sidewall (therefore nothing japanese), this will help take the hard edge off bumps. A lightweight wheel is very important too. :thumbleft:

Following Mr Wire's detail, to give you a better picture of the setup I've gone for: New VW top mounts, inner bushes, TT outer bushes, powerflex rear beam bushes; KW V1s, wishbones just below level; 4 wheel laser aligned; BBS RCs; Conti Sport Contacts (32psi Front, 30 Rear). oh I think I used about 9 pages of [strike:l25oe0cz]convincing[/strike:l25oe0cz] research before getting all that lot :norty:

Kev, we need to meet up so I can give your "God Suspension" A second opinion! an see if I was wrong picking KW-1's :confused4:

Leonard, Essex Roads I've driven are the same as most of britain's pretty shocking, with some good bits!

I hit a hole that felt the approximate size of Grimsby on the N/side lane of the M11 a few weeks ago heading up to Standstead... My old "Fave [strike:1o348kq3]racetrack[/strike:1o348kq3] road" between Thame and Bicester is now a shhadow of it's old self thanks to trucks using it as part of a short cut between M40/A41...

If you want "Bad" Try A41 near the Tring Junction, they have patched and re-patched it so bad that you have 2 choices 90+ to skip over the peaks, or sub 60 to avoid crashing suspension!

I also find speed affects ride on some roads, the A418 going to my folks has just had a 40/50 slapped on it and feel like a ploughed field with tarmac on it at those speeds where as before at 60 the road felt fairly flat! Something to do with harmonics I guess?

Scotland FTW. Up here your never short of a cracking B road...

........crack yer head off the sunroof, the side pillars ... :lol:

For clarity my preference is ultimately to hold the road, no matter what the road throws at it, much of my favourite roads are not just potholed but weird with off/on camber, twisty, gravel strewn, take off ramps (little bridges) dead rabbits leaving greasy patches on smooth tarmac just after the apex....

I ran 16" wheels

Koni Adjustable Coilovers

Dropped till wishbone was just above horizontal

A quarter turn from soft on the back and 3/4 turn on the front

30psi on an average day

Polybushed allround

I loved the ride, steering weighted up lurvely at speed thru the bends really hunkered down to get good grip thru twisty bits, rattled you a bit over potholes but it didn't unsettle the car which was for me the most important part, no one wants to be bounced across the road mid corner.

I am far from experienced but I did find the general drive smooth, I rarely hit the bump stops as it wasn't all that low and when I needed it the suspension was firm and responsive to anything I could give it. I should say this is a 16V Corrado, after all everything is subjective what how much you can give it some.

Leonard, Essex Roads I've driven are the same as most of britain's pretty shocking, with some good bits!

Absolutely!

I've driven over 70K with the Corrado over 6 years, from one end of the country to the other and I have to say, the KW V3s + 17s have proven to be the best compromises so far. The best all round tyres I've used, for comfort / handling and grip are Continental Sport contacts. Expensive, but compared to the likes of Toyos and Yokohama.... different league. The Bridgestone RE050 is a VERY close second for all round consistency and comfort etc.

Sure my car flops down into a nasty hole every now and then and sends shudders through the car in a nasty crashy, uncomfortable way but it's just one of those things you have to accept unfortunately. 98% of the time, it's great :D

Have you ever been in a modern Audi or VW with "sports" suspension? They're exactly the same, so I wouldn't give the Corrado too hard a time, there are far worse cars out there for ride quality.....Evo 9, Civic Type R etc... they're not pleasant over bumps either and they benefit from newer, stronger shells and better suspension technology.

And the golden rule is to avoid the holes and ruts where possible :wink:

[i've driven over 70K with the Corrado over 6 years, from one end of the country to the other and I have to say, the KW V3s + 17s have proven to be the best compromises so far.

Do you feel confident enough in that statement to give me a money back guarantee :lol:

Found the KW V3's for £995 fitted at AMD which I thought was pretty good considering :bonk:

kw variant 2's... and its v low! ride is fine, not crashy at all and v smooth..

just my 2p's worth..

Why thank ya.

Are you on 15's?

kw variant 2's... and its v low! ride is fine, not crashy at all and v smooth..

just my 2p's worth..

Why thank ya.

Are you on 15's?

16's x 8j all round, running 205/45/16 tyres with a subtle stretch... i will be raising the suspension a little bit as its farr to low to use daily (due to speed bumps in my area)

id say if you were local come out for a ride and see what you think..

Do you fancy moving to Matlock?

We have a castle and some cable cars? Its pretty to in a northern kinda way :grin:

We have a castle and some cable cars? Its pretty to in a northern kinda way :grin:

lol, youve sold it well but i love it too much down here on the south coast..

what coilies you thinking of investing in?

lol, youve sold it well but i love it too much down here on the south coast..

what coilies you thinking of investing in?

LOL What if I told you we had a REAL BIG resevoir, that almost looks like the sea in the fog or with low cloud?

Initially I thought KW V2's at circa £850 but then I saw the free fitting deal on the V3's for £995 so thought that basically works out the same! :help:

LOL What if I told you we had a REAL BIG resevoir, that almost looks like the sea in the fog or with low cloud?

Initially I thought KW V2's at circa £850 but then I saw the free fitting deal on the V3's for £995 so thought that basically works out the same! :help:

seems fair enough, though i dont know the differnces between v2's and v3's....

get them to fit them and set them up exactly how u want them, cant go wrong..

get them to fit them and set them up exactly how u want them, cant go wrong..

Well you would hope so for a grand wouldnt you :lol: But I still wouldnt bet on it :shrug:

The V3's have adjustable compression and rebound damping over the V2's I think.

So hopefully can give it a decent low speed ride yet will still handle amazingly when flat out

Money back guarantee, LOL! :lol: I'll just use the usual line, "they're soiled mate, can't take them back" :D

I keep forgetting to say this every time I mention KW V3s, but I use their softer spring option. As standard they come with 400in-lb front and 275in-lb rear springs, which are fairly bread and butter spring rates for german kits on the VR.

I asked if they did an old fogey option and they do - 325in-lb front and 228in-lb rear. For some reason this alternative isn't advertised, it's by enquiry only :shrug:

The good news is KW clearly did their homework and lots of testing because the softer springs aren't too soft, and not as harsh as the stiffer option over bumps, so seems to be the perfect compromise. StormchargedVR6 runs exactly the same setup as me, so I'm sure he'll concur :D

Yes, the V3s have adjustable low speed compression aswell as rebound.

Just to remind you, Low speed bump affects things like - Brake dive, turn-in, crests, undulations etc. Any slow damper movements basically.

High speed bump is things like cats eyes, pot holes, kerbs etc etc and is always factory preset (except on exotic 3 ways).

Rebound is the strut returning back to it's static, uncompressed state. Less rebound = bouncy over bumps. Rebound is the damper force that makes the whole car feel granite like and planted. Low speed bump is what makes the car turn-in on a dime, so i'd recommend the V3s over the 1s and 2s any day....

I keep forgetting to say this every time I mention KW V3s, but I use their softer spring option. As standard they come with 400in-lb front and 275in-lb rear springs, which are fairly bread and butter spring rates for german kits on the VR.

I asked if they did an old fogey option and they do - 325in-lb front and 228in-lb rear. For some reason this alternative isn't advertised, it's by enquiry only :shrug:

So exactly when were you going to mention this to me then, hey Kev? Just as well I am skint this month or I would have been having a right old whinge at ya! :lol:

That does inspire me with a bit more confidence though. I can actually visualise them working for me now with the softer spring rates! Just hope AMD will do that option at the same price inc free fitting.

Best get saving then :grin:

Oh one last thing how well do they last? How long have you had yours and over how many miles?

Ta

Matt

I had to find that out for myself, so you could just as easily have rang K&W and asked them if they do softer springs :wink: :lol:

It is a no cost option though, and sometimes they send you the original springs aswell. They did with Shaun's kit! You'll then have 2 sets to play with.

They're lasting very well, they come up like new after a few wipes everytime they come off. Do you remember the rock I hit on the motorway last year, that took out my back wheel and tyre? Well the the V3 damper concerned smacked VERY hard into it's stop and it's still 100% perfect. Strong as war bunkers mate....

Had them 2 years now I think, roughly 25K covered so far....

i've previoulsy had koni coilovers, H&R comfort coilovers and out of those 2 sets the H&R'S were the comfiest. But currently using the weitec TX adjustable coilovers and they are even better than the H&R's for comfort, and the car feels more planted than when using the previously mention 2 types of coilovers.

I live in Dorset and it's rural roads in every direction down here.

I use Koni coilovers and they are excellent. Small bump absorbsion is excellent and keeps the wheels in contact with the road very well. Over country roads (and I travel across Wiltshire's Salisbury plain fairly frequently) ride quality is firm but totally planted. The adjustable damping allowed me to set the feel up just the way I like it (i.e ¼ turn from max at front, ½ turn from fully soft at the back). The Koni's also have a lifetime guarantee, and I've never had a problem with failure on either set of Konis that I've owned.

Frankly though opinions on this topic are like backsides - everybody has one. Everybody has a different view of how they like thier car to perform and feel so there is no right or wrong answer to this question. Personally I think the Konis are worth the extra money but I also don't doubt Pianowire's feedback on the KW's he uses for a second as I havn't tried them. You will really just have to pick a kit that suits your budget and take a chance like I had to. I have drive a Corrado on H&R coilovers and they were also very nice, albeit the spring rates felt a little bit softer than the Konis do (and I prefer the Konis).

The last thing I'd pass on (if you're running a VR6) is to avoid Bilstein kits which are very firm and more suited to smooth German roads, and also those godawful 'trackday' coilovers (were they H&R's?) which came out a couple of years back, and which despite thier motorsport marketing managed to have have non-adjustable dampers (yeah... right...)

Hope this helps,

John

Cheers John

Well I was considering PSS9's at one point so that is helpful.

I currently run just the Koni TA's and part of me thinks i should just swap the Eibach springs to Pi or H&R and see how I go with that set up. But then that is going to be £300 fitted and to 4 year old dampers :?

Matt

Yeah that's very true, everyone has an opinion on suspension and different preferences, but the recommended brands that come up most frequently in VW circles are Koni, H&R, KW & Weitec.

Leonard, the problem with your current setup is definitely the Eibach Springs. Everyone I know whose had the same setup hated them. I remember Dinkus's 2nd VR6 had the same and it really was crashy and horrible.

Bilstein PSS9 - They and the sister coilover, the H&R Clubsport, have super hard springs, so avoid. You're talking around 800in-lb front and 500ish at the back. They are best left for track work :D

Bilstein PSS and H&R comfort - They both have 400in-lb / 275in-lb rates like the KW's standard rates. I used to have the H&R comforts and I quite liked them. They weren't very good over close packed bumps though, which should be a monotube strength normally. Twin tubes of a decent brand tend work better on our old VWs. Sorry, it does get techie and geeky I'm afraid, but I had to study all this schitt in order to find the best performance / price compromise for my car.

The Koni coilovers have a good rep aswell, but I don't know the spring rates for them.

Having had the Koni + H&R combo also, I'd say that's probably too stiff for your tastes aswell.

Why not just buy some Pi or what ever springs but choose your own spring rate?

That's the advantage of coilovers though, they're all standard 2.5" ID springs (a few use 2.25" springs) and they're dirt cheap and easy to fit. You could try 2 different rates in a day if you're good with a spanner :D

It's not "Coilovers" per se that are crashy and horrible as many people assume, but rather the poor choice of coilover, or incorrect spring and damper combo for the application.

Have we got to the point where filthy innuendo begins?

i.e. Does he like his ride bouncy bouncy or does he prefer it hard and firm ?

Fnaar, fnaar, snigger.

:D

Have we got to the point where filthy innuendo begins?

i.e. Does he like his ride bouncy bouncy or does he prefer it hard and firm ?

Fnaar, fnaar, snigger.

:D

LOL See how I replied to you first over Kevs post :lol:

bouncy bouncy every time! :norty: :grin: