Sign in to follow this  
mark*

mpg 2L valve

i'm a little concerned as it seems to be using more fuel than my golf vr, on the m-way on sunday i got 24.3, same run in the vr at the same speed i get 30.2

i just wondered what other peeps get in theirs, as i bought it thinking it'd be more economical, now i'm gonna be peeved if the golf sells on thursday and i've not got the cash to sort it

the gf used to get 40 odd in hers so yeah something is wrong there fella im sure someone will be along in a bit to tell you what to check!

Have you actually worked this out after filling up a couple of times or just trusting the figure on the MFA?

Mine gives me around 320 miles on 50 litres with mixed driving, 350 - 400 miles for motorway

well i'm looking at the mfa, but the needle seems to be all over the place too: brake, it goes up, toe down and it comes down. put juice in yesterday and reset the dial so i'll look at that in a few days i guess

Don't believe the MFA, particularly on the 16v, only way to tell for sure is fill it to the brim, drive about then brim it again and work out mpg from the mileage you've done.

Having said that the 16v is rubbish around town and when doing short trips and cold weather, the injection system and gearing all work against you.

Having said that the 16v is rubbish around town and when doing short trips and cold weather, the injection system and gearing all work against you.

that fills me with confidence, should have kept the vr! lol

Mark, ignore the MFA and do a few "To empty*" runs .. like NoCrap I get about 400-450 on motorway, 350+ on mixed (and that means London!) about £50 a tank.

16v Mileage also depends what driving style (above 4k all the time?) as well as what mods you have?

The Gauge will be a bit "Random" towards the bottom as more room for fuel to swill about!

Oh and you'll find it drop more sharply in the last 1/4 than the previous 3/4

*Not to actual empty, just to the start of the red... as they will be years of Carp swilling in the bottom of the tank!

cheers, i'll have a go at that and just ignore the mfa.

got no mods i'm aware of. it was owned by raddo_tom, seems pretty standard other than the stance. had the head rebuilt and spooled up 147bhp on the rollers at awesome last year.

but, been out in it again today, (rear wheel bearing is on the verge of collapse, i swear!) listening past the hum i can hear the sound of an exhaust blowing!! lord give me strength!

i'm a mature student and really cant afford to fix things all the time, (bearing in 3 weeks) and now seems i've bought the wrong car :epicfail: lol

I've got 1 1.8 16v and I definitely notice that my fuel guage needle is erratic, and I never trust the MFA!!

I generally go on the rule that if it costs my £25 or less to do the 150 miles I do to work and back a week, then all is okay. But I really do notice the difference if I let the rev counter sit on the exciting side of 4000 it does tend to drink it a lot faster.

16v MPG figures tend to vary a hell of a lot - i've never really worked out why but can only assume that the engine is more susceptible to how you drive or the roads you generally drive on (i.e if you live in a built up place or rural etc) than average.

I've had many valvers, and have NEVER managed to get much above 30mpg when trying my hardest, no matter how light footed I am. Generally i'd get around 27MPG overall, I dont like ragging the tits of my cars so keep the revs fairly low and I live in a rural area with very little in the way of traffic/traffic lights/stop starting etc.

I'm afraid that you may well find that you get roughly the same MPG if not a little less from your 16v than you are from your VR6. I've always managed better MPG from VR6's and G60's (including a 200+ fettled G60) than from valvers. Bang for bucks it just doesn't work out, 27MPG from a 4 pot 136bhp valver or 30MPG from a 6 pot 190bhp V6? :shrug:

I got 32.6 on the way home today , but my C has just been serviced and I fixed the sensor on the TB maybe why , i used to get bad mpg like you , it was fueling for 3000rpm at tickover :clap:

Raddoman

and i need a back box cos it fell off earlier!! another £120 spent and not had it a week yet!!

ok, quick update with this..

car is still up for sale, and mpg has been a bit pants as the thread suggests. however, after troubleshooting a starting issue, i found 5 m8 allen bolts missing from the inlet manifold!! whoever did the head work on it should hang their head in shame!

so, on a sunny sunday morning, have cut to size replacement bolts, starting first time using metered air for a change, and returned 32.something mpg.

chuffed for a change :)

SO what is the best Rado for mpg then?

I get the impresion from this thread that the 2lt 16vl arent very good for mpg :confused4:

Whats the differenc betwen the 2lt 16vl, G60 and VR6 mpg.

I still cant make my mind up which Rado i want to get.

after my little flit around under the hood and finding this massive bodge of workmanship, and resolving it, it's now a lot better on fuel than a vr and possibly a G60(?)

i've owned a vr, and for me is one of the best noises, its up there with a few of my previous cars :)

buy a vr, you wont regret it