Sign in to follow this  
stevef

Standard Suspension

My '95 VR6 now has 130k on the clock and as far as I can tell from the history it is still on the original shockers.

One of the rears has started to leak so I am going to change all four at the same time.

I want to keep the car as standard as possible without resorting to stealer prices.

Can anybody tell me what the best "standard" shockers are and where to get them from?

Cheers

unless you've already phoned a stealer and aint happy with the prices they have quoted.........i would try the stealer IIRC they are less than £40 a corner........failing that try the usual suspects.........EuroCarParts,German & Swedish etc

Standard VR6 dampers are made by SACHS and are black at the front and red at the back, or they were when fitted at the factory at least. Get these if you can. If not, some Bilsteins, Konis or H&Rs will the better substitute if not. Boge ones from G&S do not offer the same damping performance.

Kev

Avoid boge. A mate swapped his factory front dampers on a vr for boge and the damping was just as spongy as the originals which had done 80k. Can you use something like koni yellows with standard springs?

The 'standard' shocks offered in GSF/Euro car parts are named 'Sachs/Boge' so it looks like they are now the same company!!

I'm surprised ppl have found Boge to be too soft, they usually have a repuatation for being too hard!!

If you purchase from the stealers they will probably just source them from GSF/ECP anyway!

The 'standard' shocks offered in GSF/Euro car parts are named 'Sachs/Boge' so it looks like they are now the same company!!

Yep that is true but looks like Boge get the say on damping rates etc as they're dire. Nothing like the original VW spec'd ones.

I'm surprised ppl have found Boge to be too soft, they usually have a repuatation for being too hard!!

Exactly....too hard on poorly surfaced urban roads and too soft where it matters most, on demanding B roads!

If you purchase from the stealers they will probably just source them from GSF/ECP anyway!

Quite possible, which is another reason why everyone recommends Koni or Bilstein!

K

VWUK Distribution centre - Milton Keynes

I've just had my shocks & front springs changed for 40mm springs Bilstein Gas shocks, and the ride quality is far better! Big thumbs up so far for ride & handling :)

oddly, one shock was Boge gas (felt soft when compressed) and the other was some cheap and nasty no-name oil shock!

damit :x I have just brought a full set of bogeshocks for my vr and they are being fitted tonight as wee speak :cry:

Are they really that bad???!!!

damit :x I have just brought a full set of bogeshocks for my vr and they are being fitted tonight as wee speak :cry:

Are they really that bad???!!!

Only you can decide that but I know I didn't like them! Apparently the OE shocks are now called "Sachs advantage", which G&S can get.

K

Correction - GSF can get the front ones, but they will happily supply Boge Turbogas for the rears. If you can get VW partsclub prices (you are a CCGB member?) then you can get the rear shocks from VW for £23 + VAT each.

The front ones are cheapest from GSF - £35 + VAT each, and I'm assured that these are Sachs Advantage - as Kev says these are OEM.

According to the UK arm of Boge/Sachs (they've been the same company for many years now by the way), the Boge Turbogas and the Sachs Advantage shocks are both identical, made on the same production line to the exact same specification, just with different labels on them.

That's what I was told...

Click http://webcat.zf-trading.com/nc2_typ_teile.asp?LKZ=D&PKW=1&KHERNR=121&KMODNR=3887&MODEL=CORRADO+%2853I%29&KTYPNR=1755&LASTPAGE=http://webcat.zf-trading.com/nc2_typ_teile.asp this for the parts.

I've just put VW Stealer shocks on the rear as the prices were comparable with GSF etc and my dealer is much closer to work. I get 10% off from my dealer throught the 'parts for older cars' program (not it's official title).

My old shocks were as good as not having any shocks.

Handling Difference is OOTW. :D

Yeah, the dealer price for VR6 fronts was £55 I think? Something like that.

They offered me 10% - 49.50, but GSF is 5 minutes walk from my house and can do the same bits for £35..

The official prices for the Sachs Advantage shocks, by the way, are:

SACHS Advantage GAS dampers (as fitted in the factory):

Front: 170 128 £54

Rear: 105 776 £31

So VW basically charge the RRP + £1 in each case.

oh well i will just have to see what i think of the ride. I have just fitted a full set of powerflex bushes so hopefully this will help with the handling!

Picked up my stealer rear shocks today - they are the original OEM red SACHS parts - complete with the SACHS and VW stamps in the casings.

Look good.

Not noticeably soft, but you can tell they're gas shocks cos of the way the strut goes to full extension when it's left to it's own devices...

Not bad for £53 all inclusive!! :)

Excellent, that's good news that they are indeed the same then.

I thought Boge Turbogas were the 20% uprated sports shocks, and that standard shocks were just called 'GAS' or automatic or something??

Boge turbogas are the same as the Sachs Advantage. They were standard fit on the VR6, but they represent an "upgrade" for the oil-only shocks that were fitted to the rest of the range.

Or at least, that's what sachs boge uk tells me...

I just got my vr back and took it for a bit of a run down a lively road and it was like being on a jetski!!!!! :( The boge shocks fell uprated over little bumps but it keeps on bouncing but the bodyroll is crazy!!!

:mad:

I just got my vr back and took it for a bit of a run down a lively road and it was like being on a jetski!!!!! :( The boge shocks fell uprated over little bumps but it keeps on bouncing but the bodyroll is crazy!!!

:mad:

So it's not just me that finds that then :roll:

As I mentioned somewhere else in this thread, or perhaps a different but related one, Boge feel uprated at slow speeds but as soon as you get the car on the open road.....they are just too under damped to cope. Highly UNrecommended!

K