Sign in to follow this  
Gaz154

empty expansion tank

my expansion tank was empty this morning the light on the dash alerted me to the fact no sign of a leak anyone have any ideas i'm a bit worried about where it went also don't think the radiator fan is working the belt has jumped off and it is sitting on the back of the fan causing a wear mark moved it now but can't get it back on looks like a big job to get it back on

anyway could this have anything to do with it

Assuming you still have the problem, you need to:

1. Remove the bumper (go under, remove the spoiler, remove the four bolts that hold the bumper underneath to the body). Note where all the leads and plugs go (be obsessive!).

2. Remove the slam panel. Lots of little screws in front of the rad, and by the headlights.

3. Let the rad lean forward (gently!!!).

4. Loosen the hydraulic tensioner (looks like a small shock absorber).

5. Put a NEW belt on.

6. Reverse process checking as you go along that you have definately put the cables back where they belong.

7. Get some G12+ coolant from your dealer (dont even think of something else) and mix it correctly, pouring it in with pre-boiled water in the mixture.

8. Disconnect battery for 2 hours. Reconnect. Turn on the ignition for 10 mins. Dont start the engine for those 10 mins. All the sensors need to reset and the ECU needs to do its maths.

9. With the bottle cap off, and your heater turned fully on, and lots of coolant mixture to spare - start the engine. If it clatters, or blows blue smoke, or lumps for more than 20 seconds, STOP it immediately. Otherwise let it warm up, adding coolant as it drops in level.

10. When the level starts to rise, put the cap on, keep the engine running for another 20 mins. Stop the engine.

11. Wait for the engine to cool, and remove the cap, top to max level, and refit cap. Cross fingers and if you have got to this point consider yrself a lucky bugger. Loads of VR6s have dropped their valves for much less.....

figured out the coolant leak aux pump was leaking when temps were high replaced now but not fixed the the fan belt yet

what does disconecting the battery 2 hours do??

Not always the case. My aux pump and thermostat housing both had tiny leaks, but the heat of the engine evaporated the coolant before I could trace a leak.

pouring it in with pre-boiled water in the mixture..

Assuming the engine is already warm? I could be wrong but pouring 100 degree water into a stone cold engine can't be good for it?

K

ECU reset

Battery disconnect for ECU reset is only necessary for ten mins ...... lol

Resetting the ECU will result in changing the parameters back to standard default levels so that the ECU has to re-learn its settings.

Worth doing when any work has been done on the car.

pouring it in with pre-boiled water in the mixture..

Assuming the engine is already warm? I could be wrong but pouring 100 degree water into a stone cold engine can't be good for it?

K

Kev, he may be trying to create de-mineralised water? Of course I may be wrong!

Gavin

Does this ECU reset procedure apply to 16v's too, is it worth doing occasionally as a good habit?

Ta in advance.

Does this ECU reset procedure apply to 16v's too, is it worth doing occasionally as a good habit?

Ta in advance.

Nope, AFAIK the only ECUs that learn anything are the VR6 ones... All of the rest are static programmed so don't change any of their internal perameters... :?