Johnkerry

Crackling Noise under load on G60

150 is a bit high - should be more like 130PSI but they are the same across the board so probably jut the (in)accuracy of the gauge... did you have the throttle open and engine up to temp?

I love the way VW's are so consistent... the say a difference 3 bar (nearly 45PSI!!!) is permissible but if I saw 20PSI I'd start thinking about a rebiuld!

I wouldn't worry about the engine itself but it's running rich - I'd clean those plugs too!

Not according to the Bentley emanuel Mr Charged. :)

Feel free to correct of wrong.

:salute:

12 bar is factory new from memory.

8 bar is the lowest permissable.

re plugs:It is likely that the reason those plugs are black is because he ran it with the engine cold and it was probably going through it's warmup enrichment.

He needs to whip em out after a good run.I want to see them after a pinking session. :)

If the car is not overtimed then I guess it has to be fuel related..maybe lack of. :shrug:

Is this car chip 'n pullied?

Hmmm.... all the ones I've tested are usually 127-135 PSI, I think my Golf GTI engine used to give figures of around 150...

Atmosphere = 14.7 psi

C.R. of 8.0:1

Therefore

Expected pressure = 14.7 x 8.0 = 118 psi (+ 14.7 = 132 PSI absolute)

^ Not sure if my gauge actually measures absolute or relative pressure so that may account for the readings.... also the fact that the air is compressed by the charger also changes the figures...

Hmmm.... all the ones I've tested are usually 127-135 PSI, I think my Golf GTI engine used to give figures of around 150...

Atmosphere = 14.7 psi

C.R. of 8.0:1

Therefore

Expected pressure = 14.7 x 8.0 = 118 psi (+ 14.7 = 132 PSI absolute)

^ Not sure if my gauge actually measures absolute or relative pressure so that may account for the readings.... also the fact that the air is compressed by the charger also changes the figures...

Just going by the figures in the bentley manual against compression checking the PG manual.

When I compression checked my old PG engine I got 11 bar cept on cylinder 1 which was down at 8 bar. :gag:

I don't think low compression is related to his pinking anyway tbh,but I definately don't think it is high.

John Kerry, did you get this sorted ???

What year is your G60, that later ones like mine seems to have a slightly different set up for timing in relation to the position of the rotor cap.

Anywany, did you try Auto-werks in cork, not too far down the road from you. The know their way around a G60 engine. Nice guys, ask for Alan.

Would love to know outcome of this.

Try www.vagdrivers.net for some support in Ireland that may be in your local area.

Rob

Hi fellas, im just starting to get things back together as im expecting my charger and water pipes next week. i was going to put the new crank pulley bolt on today when i noticed there is a ting bit of play / movement in the crank pulley only about a MM but im sure there shouldnt be any at all, there doesnt seem to be any damage to the key on the pulley or the key way on the crank.

My question is - Is any amount of play exceptable and if not what can i do about it ?

Anyone :shrug: I really want to start getting the car back together if its off the road for to much longer i wont get a chance to have any fun in it before winter sets in and i dont want to put the crank pulley bolt back in to find out ive got to take it off again and get another one.

I took the front bummer off today which was quite easy after reading how to on here and its a good job i did because i found that the coller that holds the braided oil line to the connecter for the oil cooler had rusted through so i will put a couple of jubilee clips on instead, if i hadnt of notice it could have killed the engine and made an awful mess.

I just hope i remember how to put the car back together. So far the charger, alternator, airbox, all water hoses, bumber, rad, intercooler, oil cooler, slam pan, and all the other bits n peices that go with it are all off, so i will properly be asking where things go other the next couple of weeks lol :) And then i can finally get back to finding out whats causing me pinking problem.

Hi fellas, im just starting to get things back together as im expecting my charger and water pipes next week. i was going to put the new crank pulley bolt on today when i noticed there is a ting bit of play / movement in the crank pulley only about a MM but im sure there shouldnt be any at all, there doesnt seem to be any damage to the key on the pulley or the key way on the crank.

My question is - Is any amount of play exceptable and if not what can i do about it ?

there should be zero play in the crank sprocket.

The one that drives the cam belt.

there should be zero play in the crank sprocket.

The one that drives the cam belt.

Thanks m8, theres a tiny abit of move ment side to side is there any thing i can do to fix it ? could this be the cause of the pinking problem ?