Sign in to follow this  
Mawrick

What's the best way to remove the engine+drive train?

Anyone have any tips on what's the best way to take out the VR6 engine?, also going to change quite a few parts in the suspension as well, so was thinking of maybe taking the engine with the drivetrain on it "down" out of the car?.

Any tips would be appreciated............reason for taking it out is to clean i properly, paint engine block, clean engine compartment, change the chain +++ different other maintenance.

Depends what sort of gear you have really, I think the majority of people doing it at home just pull it out having taken the slam panel and bumper off, it only takes half an our or so to get them off and makes access much easier.

hmm, is the front only held by 4 bolts into the frame or?.....and a couple of screws on the top ?......or do you have to dismantle it in many steps?.

If I end up takinging it out thru the front?......

Haven't decided yet, might be a bit cumbersome to jack it up to the height to take it out under the car?.....

First off, jack up the car and undo the exhaust manifold to downpipe and drive shafts, then drop it back onto it's wheels...

Take off the headlamps and grille, take off the bumper, take off the slam panel, put jack under sump to hold weight of engine, remove radiator, take off front engine mount, then remove front subframe (I had removed the P/S pump in the pics below to avoid having to drain the power steering fluid, hence the subframe balaced on the front wing... :cuckoo: )

At this point, the only things holding in the engine and gearbox are wiring, fuel lines, gear selector cables and gearbox and rear mounts... put something under the engine to support it (do not lift it!) and then undo the rest of the these. You should now be able to lift the engine up slightly (I found this helps to get it out of the bay) and simply (AND CAREFULLY!) roll the car away from the engine...

pics? how's these? ;) :lol:

Did you get an all day ticket Henny?

Nah, I had to pay for that Keep Clear being painted on by my garage door, so I thought, "what the hell, I paid for it, I may as well abuse it!" :lol:

That's from when I swapped J-DUB's engine into H-YYU... took about 10 hours in total due to some of the bolts on H-YYU fighting me in a big way... :brickwall:

brilliant pics. How did you get the engine so secure on the blocks, Henny? the VR engine plus an auto box are BLOODY heavy and we struggled to keep it stable when we pulled it out.

brilliant pics. How did you get the engine so secure on the blocks, Henny? the VR engine plus an auto box are BLOODY heavy and we struggled to keep it stable when we pulled it out.

Did you take it out with the drivetrain, or just the engine?

Also how much time do you guys recon it should take to pull it out?, (roughly).......

gearbox as well. I used an engine crane, hired for teh day for about £20. The auto box is massive compaed to the manual and heavy too. As Henny did, we jacked the car up, lifted and tilted the engine and box from under the chassis level. Yoou wont have such a problem moving it as there is enough room on ech side - we had about 10mm either side, so it took about 2 hours to get the engine out. It took about 3 hours to fit it back bacause we didnt have the crane agin and just used an engine brace. Realigning in the correct postion on teh mounts took teh most time - it took about 2 hours to move it 1cm to the engine mount bolt positions.

who says it was secure...? :cuckoo: :norty: :lol: It was the old engine, so I didn't really give a hoot, as long as it didn't fall off onto me or my mate... Basically it was a pair of breeze blocks with a shed load of packing wooden planks to balance it up a bit more... :ignore:

Did you take it out with the drivetrain, or just the engine?

The complete Engine and gearbox came out that time and was replaced with my uprated 252bhp engine and Quaife & VR6 ratio'd gearbox...

Taking the whole drivetrain including the suspension out would probably be almost as easy if that's what you wanted to do, as you could just:

take off the front end as before,

undo the exhaust at the downpipe -> cat flange (easy to get at),

undo the steering rack -> column connection

undo the brake caliper flexy -> solid pipes for the front brakes (and ABS sensors if fitted!),

undo the top mounts to drop the whole shock/springs

undo the rear subframe to remove the whole engine, gearbox, subframe, wishbones,

It will, however, be fecking heavy! My mate and I lifted the engine off that stack of bricks and onto a trolley by hand, there's no way we could have done that if it had the suspension attached too!

Also how much time do you guys recon it should take to pull it out?, (roughly).......

depending on which bolts fight you and if you're lucky or not, between 2 and 3 hours to pull it out in the ghetto style I did it... Possibly quicker if you've got decent tools/engine hoist and a smoother surface to work on than a Keep Clear area in a carpark... :lol: :cuckoo: