Sign in to follow this  
vwdeviant

Title change... Coilovers how much do the settle?

Hi Guys, ordering up my new topmounts but the local dealers are a bit confused about what to order...

On ETKA shows a range of parts (from the top)

Nut

Washer

Nut

Cup

Bearing (Rubber)

Washer

Nut

Sleeve

Bearing (Rubber-Large)

"Top Hat"

So the question is what do I need to order to add to my Coilover kit??

Help please!

you should only need the rubber bits. I bought everything on the diagram, i renewed all the washers and spacers anyway but really was no point.

you should be able to reuse most of the metal parts as they don't seem to wear, i guess mine had been on car since new and they looked just like the new stuff still.

anything from no. 13 down will be replaced by the coilover unit. The rest is just spacers and nuts

Always replace number 7 and number 10 (the bumpstop) and get a new bolt for the bottom.

You only need to worry about the metal washers if you're changing from Koni's etc back to standard as they use bigger versions for the larger thread...

:salute:

Cheers Dudes... ordered VR spec ones (same as Late 16v? Seemed to be on ETKA)

It's a KW-1 kit so all should be plain sailing! Just wanted to get the bump-stops done whilst they were out, made sense...

OK rather than start "Another thread"

KW-1's will be on this weekend, so I'm wondering just how much do they Settle by after running them for a bit?

Have to take into consideration 3 speed humps in our road, (one of which is big enough to be recently filmed with a bunch of celebs climing it for Comic Relief!) :mad2:

Suspension's being done at a mates workshop some 60 miles away so I have that trip back round the M25 to get the coilies to "settle down" and if I set them at it's current height and they drop say 10mm I'm going to bugger the chin spoiler up (just "kisses" 2 of them ATM)

So any advice would be much appreciated... :salute:

er, think mine settled about an inch or so over the course of a few days. mine's not a daily tho so i couldn't really tell. parked it up and when i came back a few days later it was eating wheel!

i see that a car will settle down after your taken it off the jack etc and had a quick spin, but i don't see how or why it should drop anymore after that?

When we fitted the coilies to the Golf VR the front settled LOADS more than the rears, in fact prolly around 2 inches on the front and an inch on the back...whether that will apply to the lighter valver engine I don't know...

i dont think the springs settle as such- just the internal seals etc inside the dampers free up slightly so theres less "sticktion" inside the damper tube, so the weight of the car will be held up to an extent by the extra friction of the damper. Over a few days/weeks the seals bed in,friction reduces so the car will sit lower over the shocks.

its just like piston rings etc bedding in i guess, engines get "freer" over time

You should really order new bearings with the top mounts. For the price involved it's stupid not to. All the other parts you carry over.

The settle in time for good quality coilovers is around 1.5 metres. :shades:

My coilies settled by over 2cm in the first few weeks - roads in Oxford are poor, and it is my daily, so it was a pretty quick drop. :pale: Not a big deal for the rears, but the fronts became a problem.

Ended up eating rubber and getting very bald treads! Since they were adjusted back up they've been very stable in height.

Strangely the Valver with it's new KW's and VR top mounts all round has hardly settled and done over 300 miles now! :clap:

So could drop the front another 15mm...

Trip to get the alignment and camber checked and re-set next weekend.