Sign in to follow this  
sc00byd00byd00

Engine Weights.... 225bhp S3 / VR6 / R32 / 2.0T

Does anybody know the weights of these engines.

I remember the days where people said that VR6's were too front heavy to go into a mk2 Golf as an engine conversion so was just wondering about weights.

Considering an engine conversion but not if its gonna completely screw up the handling

Whats more important for ease of fitting is what engine do you have now assuming its a corrado its going in.

The R32 and VR6 are both 165-170kg, with ancilleries, but less the gearbox.

VR6 02A gearbox weighs ~ 50Kg. R32 Gearbox a lot more, especially with the transfer box attached.

1.8Ts I seem to remember a figure of around 120Kg less the gearbox from reading about one being installed in an Elise.

No idea how much the 2.0T weighs though, not far off the 1.8T I suspect.

The R32 and VR6 are both 165-170kg, with ancilleries, but less the gearbox.

VR6 02A gearbox weighs ~ 50Kg. R32 Gearbox a lot more, especially with the transfer box attached.

1.8Ts I seem to remember a figure of around 120Kg less the gearbox from reading about one being installed in an Elise.

No idea how much the 2.0T weighs though, not far off the 1.8T I suspect.

Cheers....

Only reason I say is that I heard somewhere that the later 1.8T's and the R32's are built out of a lighter alloy and this lighter than a VR6 ???

1.8T / Vr6 / R32 all iron blocks, but the the R32 has more plastic parts, so counters the extra weight of the bigger head.

I think the 2.0T might have an alloy block, not sure. That has a lot of plastic parts too. It's a pig ugly engine that one, with the covers removed.

The way the engines sit makes a difference too. the 6 cylinder engines are tilted forward, whereas the old 4 cylinder engines were sat back a lot more. I'm not sure about the 1.8/2.0T

I thought I heard somewhere that the 2.8 v6 had an alloy bottom end? I'm surprised the R32 is cast iron, must weigh loads with the full 4WD transfer box and 6 spd then...

2.8 and 3.2 blocks are definitely iron. If it wasn't for the current climate, I suspect VW would have eventually introduced an all alloy narrow angle V6. Or maybe even magnesium alloy like the BMW 330i engine.

Not sure about the 3.6 though, that might have an alloy block.

Yep, the 02M gearbox plus the transfer box is a weighty peice of sure. The rear diff is a beefy and heavy thing too..... which is why the MK5 GTI is 1336kg and the MK5 R32 is ~ 1500kg :D

just looked on the German volkswagen site and the mk6 GTI is about 20kg lighter than the outgoing model, but I guess that could be down to options rather than engineering improvements, still a heavy bugger.

that's all including 75kg driver and 90% fuel (is that about 120kg extra from empty then?)

was the 1150kg for the early 4 pot Corrados and 1250kg for the VR, empty or kerb weight? (fuel but no driver)

I reckon the Corrado weights must be based on "as it comes off the production line", i.e. no passenger ballast and no fluids.

The only reason I suspect that is because I weighed my VR a few years ago on a weighbridge and it was 1320kg with a full tank of fuel. + 70 litres of fuel, 10 litres of coolant, 6 litres of oil, 5 litres of screenwash must make up the additional 70kg?

I'd think so kev, the fuel will be approx 50kg at an SG (specific gravity) of 0.7, coolant around 8 I'd think (for a 50/50 mix?) seeing as ethylene glycol is pretty thin but water has an SG of 1, oil will be a fair bit thicker and screenwash will be a little thinner (as per coolant)...ish.

so roughly speaking: 50+8+8+4 = 70kg, more or less.

push factor on the drive :lol: my Corrado is about the same as my 4 door mk4 with the 1.6 engine, air con etc, that has a kerb weight of about 1200kg or so, I reckon the valver must be about 1200kg with fuel and fluids, which is about what the original VW figures suggest, i.e. the VR is about 100kg more than the early 4 pots, not just engine, there's a bigger rad/coolant capacity, oil capacity, brakes, plus axle...

how much do you think a a g60 weighs im interesed in this topic as i want to take the car to a weigh bridge to see how heavy it is with me in. So then i can work out my power to weight. I also want to get each corner weighed to see the distribution.

Don't know the weights for a G60 or VR6 but the following corner weights may help someone: -

MKII Golf Gti (late 8v)

1/4 tank of fuel, full interior, 15" alloy with 195/50/15 tyre on passenger seat

F 304 299 (603)

R 193 199 (392)

995kg total

MKII Golf GTD (late)

1/3 tank of fuel, stripped out back

F 305 315 (621)

R 164 168 (332)

952.5kg total

MKII Scirocco 16v conversion (KR)

1/4 tank of fuel, stock interior

F 308 302 (610)

R 162 178 (340)

950kg total

Don't have the corners for the Corrado, just the total: -

Corrado 16v (early KR)

1/3 tank of fuel, stock interior, sunroof

1150kg total

All weights from proper scales

Cheers

Simon

So is that how much a 16v corrado weighs.

Goes to make my numbers look amazing and prove boostpand's theory that they are salt :norty:

hi

my vr6 has a sticker in the corner of the windscreen (i think its on the n/s where the chassis no is on newer car which states the weight at 1280kg which sounds about right from the info so far

andy

If I remember right the R32 engine is 18kg lighter than the VR engine. Everthing attached and including TB to Exhaust Manifolds. Measured it on my old mans scales.