Sign in to follow this  
Bally

Turbo Technics VW Corrado back on ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... egory=9873

'I only purchased this car a couple of months ago for £2,950 and hoped it would turn out to be practical enough, having a 10 month old sprog to think about now as well. I can cope but unfortunately the missus blew a fuse and unfortunately it has to go (the car).

I have just spent £565 having the turbo and injector system serviced. It has also had new rear brake disks fitted a couple of weeks ago.'

what a shame... :roll:

wow he sounds pretty honest on the cars fault and wouldnt take much doh to sort out!!!!!

id love to have it just a bit weiry of turbo conversions!!!! :twisted:

Do it Jim :D

Did u have any luck selling the vtr?

No mate.. gonna try again early next year! Determined to be back in a Dub!! :)

id love to have it just a bit weiry of turbo conversions!!!! :twisted:

Nothing to be wary of if it's been built properly. The original Turbo Technics kit is top quality but is under-fuelled at the top end. You need K Star KS301 running an additional rail of VR6 injectors to get the best out of it. And then it's silky smooth and very torquey.

My old 1800 16V T is now producing 260bhp with a T28 hybrid and water injection. The build is over 4 years old and only suffered one break down in that time due to a blown head gasket.

Kev

My neighbours Turbo Technics Capri has never let him down seriously in all the years he's had it, and thats a D Reg.

Turbo Technics gear must be pretty sturdy stuff is all I can say.

Yeah they are built to last although TT only make the manifolds and intercooler pipework (the metal one that goes under the sump) themselves, and on some engines, the throttle body elbows. Everything else is off the shelf, such as the Garrett turbos, rubber hosing, oil return pipes etc etc. The manifold is the difficult bit, without that the project is obviously a non-starter and it has to be a high nickel content one. TT still have the moulds for the 16V T manifold, but will only make them if 10 or more are ordered :(

This conversion is only really worth doing if you plan on going the full hog, and that means a map sensor, K star and an additional fuel rail. Turbo Technics extra fuelling method was using the cold start injector on boost, which is insufficient to say the least.

You're looking at approx £5K in all, once you've done the CR drop and rebuilt the head, honed the bores etc, K star, VR6 injector rail, setting up etc.

A 20V conversion is more cost effective but it's not as sweet an engine as the valver turbo.

K

maybe a blonde moment :oops: from me..........but how can a non-cat engine have a de-cat???? :?

Nope, not a blonde moment... Well spotted... 8) 1.8 16Vs didn't have a cat, so won't have a de-cat pipe... :? odd... :?

Well I suppose its time to welcome a new member!

After selling my pride and joy, Mk1 Gti. :(

I am now the prowd owner of this lovely corrado!

Hi! :)

Well I suppose its time to welcome a new member!

After selling my pride and joy, Mk1 Gti. :(

I am now the prowd owner of this lovely corrado!

Hi! :)

Owner of the red Turbo Technics car I take it? Good man :lol:

A very rare beast indeed.....!

If the engine bay is still as per the picture, then the engine is only realising part of it's full potential.....

K

Welcome to the Forum Adam... Looks like you've bought yourself a rather interesting car... 8)

Hi Guys, thanks for the warm welcome.

Looks as if I shall be frequenting this forum on a regular basis.

Yes Ive bought the car paid £2800 what are your thoughts on that?

Not seen it yet as a friend has picked it up for me as Im working up North for a while.

So what would your advise be with regard to making a fuller potential of the engine, without making it too delicate. Dont know if it has a VR6 fuel rail yet as Ive not seen it. But I guess that would be a start.

It certainly looks to be an interesting car as you say.

:twisted: Can I expect to keep up with a VR6? :twisted:

Adam.... now that name rings a few bells.... where you from?

Im originally from Dunmow/Great Bardfield Essex.

Working in Preston Lancs right now.

Yes Ive bought the car paid £2800 what are your thoughts on that?

Excellent VFM..... those TT engines are cracking units, my personal favourite VW derived engine :lol:

So what would your advise be with regard to making a fuller potential of the engine, without making it too delicate. Dont know if it has a VR6 fuel rail yet as Ive not seen it. But I guess that would be a start.

It appears to be using the standard TT fuelling method (5th injector) and the quoted 188bhp would support that as that's what TT used to quote when they did the conversions back in the 80s/90s.

Speak to Stealth about their custom fuel rail and Kstar. They totally transform the engine whilst retaining reliability.....more reliable in fact as it nips pinking in the bud.

:twisted: Can I expect to keep up with a VR6? :twisted:

Keep up? You'll pass a standard one quite easily mate!

K

Well I can't wait to hear about (and maybe even see at a few meets) this awesome sounding car.

I was really having to wrestle with my conscience not to bid on this car.. VR6 equivilant power, with the lightness of the 16v. And the wonderful noise of a turbo to boot. As kevhaywire said, you should eat VR6's up without too much trouble :)

A few of the guys know on here that I have babbled on about the car my neighbour has - a 2.8i Capri with a Turbo Technics turbo kit on it, installed from new when the car was made. Its a D reg, and having talked to him about it, it sounds like its a superbly engineered conversion as he has never had a single bit of trouble with it in all these years. I hope yours behaves as well :)

nice car mate used to be mine... good to see it has gone to a good home...

we had some great times and some very scarey times at 143mph, look after her she is a rare one.

Will put pictures up as soon as I get back from Austria next week.

Got the whole exciting time of washing it for the first time to do yet! Ahh what a pleasure.

Let me know if anyone sees any 17"s going.

nice car mate used to be mine... good to see it has gone to a good home...

we had some great times and some very scarey times at 143mph, look after her she is a rare one.

Thats great to hear. Got any pictures from when you owned her, how long did you have her etc?

Any major service items carried out while in your possesion, I would love to hear more about its history........