Sign in to follow this  
The_Dude

Recommend me a small bike!

I'm sick of getting the bus and have decided to get a small bike to avoid being crushed standing up going to and from work.

Problem is I know diddly squat about bikes, so could someone recommend me a small bike under 125cc?

I'm not really a fan of peds, most sound like hairdryers and the wheels seem too small for our weather, plus I've already crashed one in Thailand (with scar to prove), so if there's anything else out there I will consider that first. Not bothered about gears or twist and go either.

Basically I just want to know if there's any type or make I should avoid, all comments welcome and appreciated.

To and from work... okay. Assuming you fell off a ped, I guess you dont like peds, although maybe a sensible choice. No idea if the one you rode was a total banger or what; I've ridden all sorts and know some to be a bit loose, lol. I know peds feel twitchy with the short rake and small front wheel, so lets assume you want a real bike.

Handling, so staying away from peds, you're left with lots of bikes to choose. It all depends upon you, your build/frame and how lively you like to be. If you're tall, I would stear you away from a tiny CBR125 sports bike, as you'll be all hunched up, uncomfortable and all your weight on the front, making it more likely you'll loose the front and crash; similarly if you're short in the body, you'll be laying on the tank and again have little control over the front. If its for work, I'd recommend something chuckable, easy to move about - that leaves lots of options, the most likely sort being Dirt / Trailer bike with road tyres - you can see over traffic, they move well and brake really well etc. Remember all your small capacity engine bikes will be a bit Waaaaaa noisy. The trail bikes being all sorts of makes Btw, KTM are fine in addition to the usual suspects.

If the trails bike is too tall, then you can go for a comfy sort of sit-up-n-beg pootler, like a CB125 Honda or something. Here is where I would stear clear of these odd new makes, stick with the usual suspects. Most come with puny little brakes and need to be ridden sedately because of it. Older bikes might even be with a drum brake; not nice. Kick starts are fine if you dont mid the umph required, most are easy. Check the catalogues, but you might find the sit-n-beg will have a bigger petrol capacity than some.

Then you see people on these chopper style bikes; look the part but dont sound the part, what are they, like a Honda CA 125? Same rules apply to the above sit n beg bike, although the long rake might feel odd to you; but at least you can put your feet down in some instances (slow moving). Downside, less able to see over traffic, traffic also less likely to see you. The Trails bike is more see-able.

Bit of both? Honda XL 125? Have a look. Also note that these types of bikes are more user friendly than say the old sports bikes; the old sports often require you to use pre-mix petrol, ie added oil that you either carry under the seat or do at home - pain!! So the new bikes are much better, you top up a built-in oil res; or they are 4 stroke and dont need it.

Usual suspects; these being Honda, yamaha, suzuki and kawasaki. FYM would be fine and probably are a canablised version of an old honda design, but with buying a big name, you know you'll get parts always. Most bikes are simple and you'll fix most of it your self. Service it, they need TLC. The sit-n-beg bikes are less well design for rain, in that sometimes electrics are prone to going sizzle; maybe less of a problem on newer ones. All bikes will likely return good mpg. Aprilia are okay, italian and so the odd thing can go wrong; but avoid ducati/cagiva like the plague for a daily runner.

Most rat bikes have been dropped; look for usual signs, use your common sense. Handle bars, brake levels, indicators (underside), foot rests and exhausts are commonly the first to cop damage; most are easily fixed or bent back into place; even the sub-frames. However do not buy one with a bent main-frame or forks; look for cracks on the weld points. Rusty cable connections lead to pain in the butt issues later, so a well maintained one is nicer.

Bike aside, you've got other factors. Cost of passing test. Then buying the clobber; helmet - if its an every day use, I'd want to buy decent; that means lightweight from the likes of Aeri, Sheoi; two hundred of your finest will cover it in a sale. Its Britain, it will rain, so helmets tend to mist; look in the likes of MCN bike paper, or bike mags like Two Wheels for tests - but often they're a bit biased. IMO, I have found AGV helmets to mist up easily. There are products for de-misting, but its another hassle. Nothing wrong in buying last years Aeri, this years are just upped in price for fashion mostly and tiny spec improvements.

You'll need clothes; the correct textiles work well, but you'll notice riders will often go for leather trousers even when using a textile jacket; leather is simple more safe. Jackets are a pain and most are badly designed; water ingress is a real pain. Then boots - you want waterproof boots, there are plenty decent makes - read MCN. Black jackets make you harder to see in commuting traffic, while you may not wat to wear a high vis tabbard, you might choose a light-ish colour over coat or main-jacket; just not white as dead flies never want to wash off, lol. Gloves - summer ones give a better feel as they're thin (ish), while winter gloves are warm; buy both.

MOT, tax etc is cheap; as should be insurance after your first year (pending age a tad). I've merely skimmed the surface, sorry. The main thing is getting a comfortable and reliable bike; the comfort will come from getting something that fits, or you're happy to use - like you maybe 5'8 or something, but tall trails are still easy to ride if you're happy to jump up and slide off onto one foot when stopped.

I'm sick of getting the bus and have decided to get a small bike to avoid being crushed standing up going to and from work.

Problem is I know diddly squat about bikes, so could someone recommend me a small bike under 125cc?

I'm not really a fan of peds, most sound like hairdryers and the wheels seem too small for our weather, plus I've already crashed one in Thailand (with scar to prove), so if there's anything else out there I will consider that first. Not bothered about gears or twist and go either.

Basically I just want to know if there's any type or make I should avoid, all comments welcome and appreciated.

Watch the top gear Vietnam special, they give advice on there!!

Wow! Didn't expect such a detailed response, thanks Stuart! :salute:

Its all certainly food for thought and has given me a better idea of what I want and should avoid. Top work me old son. :salute:

Any one else wanna pitch in with any more tips?

(it was actually a slightly larger scooter with a basket I fell off now i think back, but it was on a dirt trail when I hit a large rut caused by monsoon rain. i rode peds out there too and found them to be unnerving and not enjoyable at all, i certainly wouldn't trust one in the rain!)

As for my build, I'm just under 6 foot and rake thin. :D

Kip - well I won't be buying a Vespa!

:lol: :lol:

And I forgot to add I live at the top of Crystal Palace hill, its absolutely massive, the highest place around for miles. So a 50cc heap won't get me home :grin:

Well IN MY OPINION you've got to have some serious nuts to ride anything with less than 250cc. I know everyone has to start somewhere but I'd say if you are wanting to get a bike just do your test and buy something that'll actually do the job to start with, I've found all the 125's and scooters/peds etc that I've ever ridden to be dangerously under powered and under weight. You want something that at least get you out of trouble if needs be, and so you're not bullied on the roads by other traffic and adverse weather (well as much as you can be on a bike).

Not saying go and buy a R1 or Fireblade or something but how about a twin pot like a Honda CB250/500, Yamaha YZF250/Fazer 250, Kawasaki ER500/KLX250 etc etc. All four stroke 2 cylinder machines, all under 33bhp so able to be ridden on a restricted licence, and all easy to find/buy/service and have usually had better care taken of them than any putt putt machine.

I had an ER-5 that I used to commute 15 miles a day on, any weather and it cost me £1300. Never let me down, plenty quick enough and so easy to ride its untrue. Plus mine did about 65mpg, bargain!

Just seems a shame to spend all the money on doing the lessons, test and setting yourself up with kit just to ride something which won't even pull the skin off ya custard! But thats just IMHO.

Just seems a shame to spend all the money on doing the lessons, test and setting yourself up with kit just to ride something which won't even pull the skin off ya custard! But thats just IMHO.

definitely agree with you on that Mic, even the instructors that I took my licence with said take it on a bigger bike as they're just much smoother to ride and more forgiving to learner riding because of the engine not stalling if you under-rev it.

that said, Jim I guess you're asking about 125 or less because you're not planning to take a test and just ride a 125 on CBT? (apologies, could be wrong!)

on that basis i would probably recommend a ped over a smaller geared bike because they're just so much less hassle to ride. changing gear on such a small engine would be very wearing over any long period based on my 2 days learning on one. I do have a Vespa 125 which i've done about 7000 miles on so i clearly have a point of view but, for what i suspect is about a 7mile journey into the city for you then a bigger bike just doesn't really get the space to open up. I never found myself losing ground to big bikes on a brixton to park lane journey put it that way.

if you buy any of that then its just a question of power to weight. vespas are quite heavy/expensive having metal bodies but feel pretty stable underneath you, the basic peds that the kids love could get nicked easily so you need something that looks a bit more "adult" but without being massive and heavy as well. if you can, take a trip to metropolis at vauxhall for a chat and advice as they have the biggest variety of bikes under one roof but dont buy there unless you're buying new..

if you still want a bike then i would say trail style for definite, nice and high riding position is always good in london. at the end of the day though, as far as i'm concerned safety is all about being dominant about your road position and not letting people push you around. I rode mine 18 miles across central london out to heathrow for 4 months last year and only felt unsafe when i was being an arse myself...

You're right John, I had planned on driving on CBT, but may do the full test now anyway, at least that way I have the option of going to a larger bike if I find a 125 too crummy. (un)Luckily I work in Croydon so there's no central shenanigans to contend with. Mic, you make a good point about something a bit more powerful, I am concerned about getting up the hill, its pretty darn steep. But one of the main reasons I don't want a larger bike is that I just don't trust myself not to do something silly. I love going fast but obviously in a car I am restricted by what's in front of me, whereas bikers get to drive on the right in this country, no holds barred. :wink: :D Seriously, the smaller the bike the less likely I'll be going fast when I do get into trouble. My journey is about 5 miles and would be a 15-20 mins pootle along main roads.

I've ridden a sit and beg in Nepal (where I first learned to ride on the mean streets of Khatmandu) and found it fine enough. It was 10 years ago mind and on completely different road conditions (better!) and traffic (mental) so I could be mistaken when I get on one over here. I dunno, I guess I'll just have to ride a few different types and see if they're up to the job.

I've know too many people who've had their peds nicked, they seem pretty easy to half inch plus I would have to keep it on the street as there's no access to the rear of my house unless you want to climb a 3 ft wall and walk over the next door neighbours lawn. Sooo I would need something not easily taken, even though I plan on locking it to a lamppost.

Its making my scalp itch from all the scratching. :scratch: :lol:

One more thing, am I right in thinking that you need a new helmet every 2 years or something? Or is that just motorsports?

Actually two, why in the TG Vietnam special, did they not call Hammonds bike the 'Talibike'? Seems the obvious joke to me that they missed :D :D

one of the main reasons I don't want a larger bike is that I just don't trust myself not to do something silly.

about 70% of the reason i still dont have one 4 years after taking my test :)

One more thing, am I right in thinking that you need a new helmet every 2 years or something? Or is that just motorsports?

nah, rubbish, more like 5 or so as long as you don't chuck it around a lot.. and of course unless you land on it at any stage and then really you should bin it..! unless its an arai which you can send back to them and have x-rayed and certified still safe by them for the princely sum of £16. have done that once already which is pretty good piece of mind. as said above though they are more pricey this year than even they were before so sales are good..

My experience is limited to a CBR 125 I'm afraid which as previously mentioned might not suit your frame! I must say that I find riding it round town a doddle, and if you're not going to be out of 30/40 limits most of the time (in London) a 125 will probably do you fine. It has enough poke around town to be comfortable and the good thing about the smaller bikes as that filtering is easy and you can fit through gaps in traffic that are almost bicycle small (Leeds rush hour has taught me this :) ).

The only place I feel slightly uncomfortable is dual carriageways as I'm wound it with not much more to give by about 70mph!

Have a poke around the Biker Banter forum on Pistonheads for some friendly advice.

WRT kit, keep an eye on eBay, as I got a leather jacket, boots & gloves for about £30 and picked up a helmet from Hein Gericke for £60 so you can get the kit all in for

Have fun!

Tom

I've know too many people who've had their peds nicked, they seem pretty easy to half inch plus I would have to keep it on the street as there's no access to the rear of my house unless you want to climb a 3 ft wall and walk over the next door neighbours lawn. Sooo I would need something not easily taken, even though I plan on locking it to a lamppost.

Hence I'd get a rat bike; the CLR looks good, but I'd make it dirty, lol. All bikes are easy to pintch - pick em up and put in a van - simple. Nobody in Croydon is going to stop or challenge two fellas lifting a bike.

I've still got mi 600 sports bike and had a few before. I find the small simple situp bikes make me relax and just slip through, without nailing it. If you had a few national limits, then I'd recommend something better. Even that said, I had a 125 once, which was supposed to be restricted, lol, and would do 100 down hill, lol.

The kit, if you get cheap, you'll find out why. the H.Gerrik stuff is fairly good. Unbranded is dodgy, the stitching might pop - you dont want to find out after an accident and say 'but if only I had got xyz'. Crikey, you could make do with well made denim jeans, work-boots (25 quid will get you steel sole in construction shop; which saves your ankle if the bike lands on you), and a Barber jacket; but just expect a sore arse when you fall off; cheapo helmets are fine if you wont be in the rain, or dont mind riding with the visor well cracked open.

Get a decent helmet, but say last years in a sale; buy good gloves - lots of warehouse outlets selling off cheap but good brands. Make do with the above, and only buy more kit once you see neccessary (ie keep riding) and have the money to burn.

No shower at work. Plus there's the big hill to contend with after a full days work. Plus I'm inherently lazy. :D