Sign in to follow this  
sean1380

what brakes are a decent set up

well im looking at buying some new brakes but confused by everything on the market really

iv seen some on fleabay for 69sheets but im guessin these wont last as long as ones that are 149 ebc jobs?will the cheaper ones warp n run out quicker??

any help would be greatly appriciated

ok seeing as im overwhelmed by all the responses!! :lol:

iv made my choice with the budget i have

im going for some venom discs with green stuff pads,they say there made same place as black diamond and that they are good quality too so hopefully stand up to some abuse

green stuff pads seem to be a good allround pads and are time tested through all cars

sorry - you need to caveat exactly what you want on here though - there are so many brake options on the corrado!

your best bet in all honesty is to go either 288 or 312 brakes (which works by taking the brakes off a mk3/mk4 golf) as these will bolts straight on.

they are a massively marked improvement over the standard equipment and you will see big performance gains without having to spend lots of money on aftermarket items; you can spend the money much more effectively on better bits.

if you check out the wiki on here there is a 312 guide - 288's are excatly the same, just different carriers and different discs.

if you've got any questions feel free to reply in this thread and i'll do my best to help you.

it also depends a lot on how you drive/what plans you have for the car in future. for example i currently have 312's and while they are good, they are definitely not good enough for me runing the enigne/power i now am, so i have some brembo's en-route.

tell us what you want to do/how you drive and we can be more specific :)

and personally i wouldn't touch black diamond with a barge pole - IMO they are schitt!

i had a black diamond clutch in a tuned application. i never did any nasty starts etc and my car absolutely destroyed the clutch as if it were a standard one (which is essentially all they really are!)

you also pay a premium for "performance" aftermarket parts - you really can get a much better result for the same money by swapping the brakes for their more modern equivalents

Same for GreenStuff pads - way too soft for Corrados at the front. Get the Reds for the front and use the Greens on the back

ah right sorry fella im still learning abit about these machines this is my 1st c

i allways thought to run bigger brakes id av to change the calipers and stuff so that ment bleeding the brakes which i hate doing as not too great at it n if i mess it up i cant drive to garage with no brakes.

so i am able to change to bigger brakes by replacing the carrier and discs,the carrier is a bracket that holds the caliper to the hub im guessin and a bigger one is only moving it further away to acc the bigger disc size?

so black diamond are pants then,what about ebc?

i drive quite hard and most of the roads round here are all back roads so alot of on/off braking but this usually cooks brakes n then im left with loadsa brake fade or no brakes at all

so need something thatll hold up to that kind of abuse

so this is a popular conversion then for these brakes up to 312 was it from 280?n i can find these off mk3's any specfic type or is it just the carriers im after?

will these bigger brakes fit under my 15's tho?or will i av to get 16's?

i know brembros are the daddys by all accounts but just abit out my price range for time being

cheers for help tho fellas ill get u a pint :salute:

Yeh, if you search the Drivetrain section you'll find a few people asking this. Also, do take a look at the Corrado Wiki HERE.

Firstly, lets remember this is an old car and brakes and the like are not as good as modern, quite often. So to keep up to speed, its a good idea to upgrade brakes first; thats size and material. The carriers and calipers can be quite expensive, add on the discs and pads and the job is costly.

So assuming you do want to hammer your old car, then yes upgrade the brakes. Bigger discs should help avoid overheating a tad. Dont colour them your self, as this can cause over-heating; dull black is best at disapating heat. Yes you need bigger carriers to accomodate the bigger disc and it will hang the better caliper too.

As for brands, you'll find all sorts of oppinion, some love diamonds, some love brembo - some people hate them. Personally I liked the Brembos and they were cheap from GSF. However it seems gsf no longer sell Brembo - ask your local. The best benchmark, the commonly good stuff to put on your car for quality is actually VW or VAG. You'll find that these days that VAG are quite cheap for the Corrado and Mk3/4 Golfs. Yes some of thier parts fit, and the Passat 2.0 sometimes fits the late valver 2.0L C; read the codes carefully etc. My local VW garage is helpful and happy to pull up the parts on the computer to look. (so note that a top tip is to buy genuine oil and air filters off VAG when running none-tuned). For pads, IMO, Pagid are pants and EBC are fine, and yes teh green stuff wears quicker, but what do yu expect; again VW are ok but actually pricey for pads IMO.

GSF used to sell reconditioned brake calipers; that being brought up like new; just need to inspect upon collection that nothing is scratching the piston. Carriers can be bought 2nd hand and the sliding pins can be bought new off VAG as far as I remember. Yes you need bigger wheels to acc' some of these babies, not 288's though (and remember 280 is standard on a VR6); always ensure the offset is correct too; 16" offer a nicer ride and look IMO, but only IMO and a few others - however yours do look smart - they are 15?

There are more than one type of brake upgrade on here. Somebody will be along soon if you cannot find those old threads by searching and you decide to bump this thread...

Its worth sending a msg to bigpants baby as he often sells the whole larger brake setups (288s) with a set of part worn discs & pads for around £50. The later brakes are well worth it, the 288 setup is only 8mm but the swept area by the pads is nearly double the area of the standard 280mm brakes. 288s fit under the std 15" wheels (just). Any larger and you will need bigger wheels. I could not believe the difference when I upgraded.

8mm is nothing really is it u'd think it wouldnt make much difference

well i think wen i get a job im gonna upgrade to this spec brakes

cheers for all the help tho ill look for the previous threads on this too saves people writing over n over again

think ill try those ebc for now with some green stuff n see how i get on

8mm is nothing really is it u'd think it wouldnt make much difference

well i think wen i get a job im gonna upgrade to this spec brakes

cheers for all the help tho ill look for the previous threads on this too saves people writing over n over again

think ill try those ebc for now with some green stuff n see how i get on

hey pal - apologies for not getting back to you sooner (i've been "otherwise engaged" for the last couple of days and not in a god way!). got your PM, if you want to give me a ring it's probably easiest to discuss what you want as i really can't be arsed to type out all the options etc and the moment as physically i'm in a bit of state...

my number is 07888701877 - Pete

and i really wouldn't even bother with the ebc's/greenstuff approach; i would go straight for the 288's.

give me a buzz if you like and i can help you out a bit more.

cheers :)

Pete

pm'd u pete

i went down the ebc/greenstuff route in the end

iv been givin them some real pain over the weekend up around the lakes and holding up well

What exactly is the issue with fitting 288 to a 4 stud car? I know it's the 5 stud issue, anything else?

Standard VR calipers/carriers fit the 4 stud so why shouldn't 288's? They fit VR's without a problem or am I wrong? Is there a fit issue on the 4 stud hub apart from there being 5 studs?

I'm just mulling things over in my head and thinking if there is an offset problem could this be overcome with carrier spacers? The discs could be re-drilled for 4 stud, right?

What exactly is the issue with fitting 288 to a 4 stud car? I know it's the 5 stud issue, anything else?

Standard VR calipers/carriers fit the 4 stud so why shouldn't 288's? They fit VR's without a problem or am I wrong? Is there a fit issue on the 4 stud hub apart from there being 5 studs?

I'm just mulling things over in my head and thinking if there is an offset problem could this be overcome with carrier spacers? The discs could be re-drilled for 4 stud, right?

I think its just the 5 studs dave...and you are right, 288s fit VRs with no problems at all!

I think its just the 5 studs dave...and you are right, 288s fit VRs with no problems at all!

Cheers Steve.

I've not yet looked at where a 4 stud PCD would fall on the 5 stud disc but would there be a strength issue with drilling discs?

Cheers Steve.

I've not yet looked at where a 4 stud PCD would fall on the 5 stud disc but would there be a strength issue with drilling discs?

To be honest im not sure, but i would imagine that it may be a concern..it seems ridiculous that you cant get 4x100 288mm discs!

Pic below shows normal 5 stud 280 discs, you reckon there is room for drilling? Im not so sure!! :shrug: It looks like wherever you drill, at least one new hole will be very close to an existing one, which i imagine would cause the strenght issue? But im no expert!

If the new holes were a close tolerance on the bolt then it could be a goer - see attached.

If the new holes were a close tolerance on the bolt then it could be a goer - see attached.

Ah i see, i like your style! :)

Well either way i hope that it works if you try! i have 288s on my VR now and they are great!

I've decided to play it safe and do the whole 4 to 5 stud setup.

I've got the 5 stud hubs, outer VR CV's, 5x100 alloys, just waiting for Golf VR calipers and carriers to be delivered.

I'm gonna change all discs as their shot, anyone recommend where to buy standard discs and pads?

Ta